Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my little tiels cage and got it all put together today, only to forget that I have sloped ceilings in the room I need to put the cage in, making the playtop useless. 90% of the reason I went with this cage was for the perch up top so he can play up there, so I would rather not take it off. Has anyone modified their playtop? I am thinking if I can somehow make it shorter then I will be ok, but I can't think for the life of me how to do it lol. I can't wait to bring my little buddy home. Now I just need to stock up on lots of toys! Obviously my nosey little kitty has to check things out to make sure it is ok for the new addition;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You could try cutting it down, redrilling new holes in the new bottoms and screwing it in. That could possibly work.

Be very careful about letting the kitty around your bird. One scratch from her and the bird is a goner. There is a bacteria in cats saliva that kills birds. Since they lick every part of their body, it's also on the claws/paws. Coincidentally, it's the same thing people like me are allergic to in cats and rabbits (guinea pigs also carry this but I'm assuming that because they don't lick themselves the way cats and rabbits do, people like me don't have allergic reactions to them the way we do to the other two.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did think of doing something like that, but worried cutting the legs would make them very sharp. Don't worry about little squishy face there:) he is declawed (not my choice, but he is a rescue and came that way). I don't see any issues with him and the tiel, our other cat does worry me though. He will probably be fine, but I am taking precautions to avoid any birdy/kitty mishaps:)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I think I have a solution for now, zip ties! I like this height much better and plan on finding the right gauge wire and bend it to fit into the screw holes tightly for a permanent fix (unless I can think of a better idea) because I know he will chew the zip ties. His play stand at work has some zip ties on it and he is always trying to chew them. For now it is very sturdy and at least makes the play top usable! Here I am worried about zip tieing this stand when it will still be a week or 2 before he comes home and I can probably do the permanent fix before then lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cockatiels are dusty, dirty birds with their dander - when they preen, they produce puffs of it in little clouds, like if you hit a chalkboard eraser. I wouldn't put a cage so close near a bed. The sheets will get yucky and it's not good to breathe in all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your concern, but this bed is unused and will eventually be taken down to make room for a loveseat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts