Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I have 3 beautiful tiel's, Charlie, Dusty and Pip :)
Not right now, but sometime in the future I would love to get a couple more birds. I would be more than happy to get more tiel's, but wondered if there are any other bird species that are known to get on with cockatiels in a mixed flock? (With all birds being able to be out together at the same time.)

From what I've previously read, Budgies seem to be the best option...but I would love to hear everyone's thoughts/advice. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
We've always had cockatiels budgies and lovebirds together mostly without incident, i keep an eye on the lovebird a bit more than the others

·
Registered
139 Posts
Budgies have worked brilliantly in my experience. I introduced my two tiels as juvies to the three parakeets and the five have integrated into a lovely little family. I find the budgies preening the tiels quite often and the male tiel sings to the parakeets.

I find our ringneck dove also gets on well with the cockatiels. He's inoffensive and large enough that he's nether injured nor upset by occasional cockatiel moodiness.

My tiels also get along well with our society finches and canary in their free-flight room, but I would never cage them together. They tend to completely ignore the littlest birds and the finches have learned the cockatiels are not a threat and don't pay them any mind either.

Mixing species always comes down to the personality of the individual, but I think budgies, particularly males vs. females, are among the best species to get along. Bourke parakeets also come to mind. They have a very cockatiel-like personality and are very docile. Lovebirds are one of the less recommended species - they can be very unpredictable and are large enough to cause damage if they want to. Parrotlets and conures are other species that I wouldn't automatically trust with cockatiels, unless introduced very young and ideally with supervision - not caged together, but I have seen conures bonded to cockatiels that did share cages for years problem-free.

Anything larger than a conure should not be allowed to interact with a cockatiel. The potential for harm is too great should the bigger bird get in a bad mood.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I've heard grass parakeets and other laid back birds are great, not regular parakeets though.

J

·
0 Posts
Oh wow, yet another bird I have never heard of. Grass parakeets... they are so beautiful!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Oh wow, yet another bird I have never heard of. Grass parakeets... they are so beautiful!!
There are several kinds of grass keets...Bourkes, Splendids, Orange-bellied, Elegants...etc :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think budgies are best only if their first home is with the tiels. I had a young parakeet named Tiny Jay who I put with young Cider in a cage together. Tiny Jay had never had another cage, and he and Cider got together nicely. Eventually, we got Sno-Cone and Tiny Jay went into a cage with some other parakeets. Fast forward a couple years, and now Cider hates TJ whenever he's on the tiel cage. Also, parakeets are more aggressive than cockatiels, so I've heard of tiels being bullied by little keets. So budgies would probably work fine as long as they are either young or not-as-aggressive as the average budgie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts