Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we first found Mister and Tara we assumed Misters tail was in the shape it was in due to their poor diet and well, being left behind by someone. And his tail did start to grow in perfectly and Tara's feathers are gorgeous (including her grey tail that has two yellow feathers one on either side, if she lets me someday I will get a picture of that.) But once again Mister's tail has started to look delapidated again. I have an appointment with the vet next week but I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice, perhaps he needs more vitamins? It's only him, Tara is in perfect feather with the long tiel tail but Misters grows in long and then next thing we know we wake up to him having this short stumpy looking thing. We've never seen him pluck and all the feathers we find have no sign of mites, blood or any other problems. They receive fresh fruits and veggies in the morning, are on a pellet diet and very rarely receive millet (their favorite treat and it's home grown so I know that nothing is getting into that.) They have two cuttlebones as well, though I mainly see Tara at those. Nothing else is suspicious about his way of acting or anything, he is still very active, very attentive & very much a "typical" tiel. Here's a picture, took me 10 minutes to get him to even sit still for this.:) Sorry about the cage bars in the view path, I know not to attempt to even get close to his tail while he is out of the cage. That's another thing, they have very much taken to taming, will step up will even let us scratch around the chest but as soon as a hand or anything comes close to the tail they both flip out, could it still be damage from his past owners?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I have a bird with "Funky Tail" syndrome. All of his tailfeathers are short except for one long one that hangs at a weird angle and looks kind of matted. he also seems to hold his hind end kind of forward!?! I think it will stop now that he is in a different cage. I witnessed him climbing to the top and then flipping over backwards to a perch in the upper corner. I can't imagine what else it could be but this habitual behavour in his old cage. His previous owner said he was molting shortly before she gave him to me. He eats a good diet but has only been with me a short time. So only time will tell.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update from the vets: (Quick little note; I love our vet. My family has been using him since I was 5 and we had two cockatoos) The vet says that Mister is low on vitamins and has given me this little bottle of gunk that I am to give to him ( and he said it wouldn't hurt Tara if she got some as well though he said Tara is in perfect condition). What my vet is assuming is going on is that Mister is obviously bonded with Tara & as such has been letting her chew on the cuttle bone as well as feeding her in a hopes that she would be interested in doing the "undisney" thing. That's why for a while there his feathers were looking pretty great and then they just started having problems out of no where. I'm to limit their light & all the other characteristic things that might make him want to mate as well as giveh him the extra vitamins & check back with the vet in two weeks. What a stressful week it's been, I'm thrilled to know that Mister isn't in any immediate danger. On to the new rescue (suppose to be coming in tonight, I'll update you guys with pictures of her/him when it gets here).

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I noticed that my funky tailed boy is chowing down on the two cuttle bones I gave him. He may well have been calcium deprived! he had no cuttle bone in his previous owners cage.

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
oh wow....that reminds me of Chico....he breaks his tail feathers all the time....and has just recently started eating his cuttlebone....i'll let mike know about this thread so he can check with his vet...

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Does he often put his tail through the cage bars like in the picture?

cage bars are on the top of list for breaking/ messing up birds tails

when ever I put a perch in a new cage I try to get it in the same place as all the others(but since each cage is different) I normally have to put it in Put the bird in see if they can sit with their back (tails) facing a wall if the tail touches the bars even the slightest I move the perch up

From Turning around in the cage, Night frights, or just sitting on a perch, if the tail is hitting/ running into cage bars it'll get all messed up and broken

Another good source is other birds, I've caught my baby budgies nibbling on our tiels tails many times and alot of the times its just because a tiel is sitting / playing in front of one of the budgies and their tail feathers are in the budgies face :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no, sorry that is the way the picture came out his tail isn't actually through any bars or anything it's my camera and the weird angle. Sorry.:blush: But good idea, I will check all of their perches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.