Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I'd been trying to get her hormones down for the past couple of weeks (usually 14hr nights for 2 weeks does the trick). I finally resorted to 24-48hrs of nonstop bright light, but I was too late apparently!
I'm just glad she passed it okay! She's eating and drinking well and doesn't seem to be showing any interest in the egg, but I'll be leaving it with her for awhile just in case.

Is it normal for there to be blood on the egg? Her vent looks fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is now 9pm and she still has not pooped.
Check her bottom for anything stuck on it. Sometimes mine wont poo if there is already poo stuck there. If so just get a slightly luke warm cotton bud or tissue and lightly clean the poo off. Be careful not to pick off any poo as you may tear the bottom.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
If perhaps this is her very first egg, that might explain the blood. You might want to get her in a warm steamy room if she is having trouble. But if she is not pooping at all, there is a chance this could mean egg binding and you may have to take her to the vet. I hope Missy will be okay, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I steamed up the bathroom, let her sit in warm water and also put her in a hospital tank with a heating pad under it last night. If nothing changed by this morning, I was planning on calling the vet.

I FOUND 3 GIANT DROPPINGS! D; I've never been so relieved in my life, I was so scared she might be eggbound!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Phew, that's great news!! :D

I'm thinking you'll probably find another egg soon. ;)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has been two days since Missy's first egg. She's pooping (4 very large dropping last night) but only had one dropping during the day today. Is this normal?

Everything else is normal. Behavior, appetite, activity, etc.

How uncommon would it be for a hen to lay just one egg? Missy is 10-years-old; would that have any effect on "clutch" size?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on calling the vet on Monday to ask his opinion, but I'm still a nervous momma and would like to hear others' opinions before then!

Anyone?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I don't know from personal experience but yes, age does affect clutch size. The large, infrequent droppings suggests she might have another egg in there, but they can also poop like this when feeling extremely hormonal. It's a great sign that she's acting normal otherwise. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Saying a little prayer that all is well with Missy...keep us advised.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know from personal experience but yes, age does affect clutch size. The large, infrequent droppings suggests she might have another egg in there, but they can also poop like this when feeling extremely hormonal. It's a great sign that she's acting normal otherwise. :)
Saying a little prayer that all is well with Missy...keep us advised.
Thank you both so much! And thank you very much for the information, @Vickitiel!
Her droppings were more frequent today, so I'm hoping it's just hormones then and no more eggs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts