Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost Joey, unexpectedly and without any warning, on April 11. The 10th, he was fine. I know birds are good at hiding illness, but there was absolutely no signs of injury or illness. He was playing, singing, eating like his usual piglet self, demanding scritches and kisses, running between us on the back of the couch all evening, and just being Joey. When we went to bed that night, he was fine.

He was such a mama's boy that if he knew I was up, he wanted out of the cage. I'd shower, then go back to the bedroom to start getting ready for work, and hubby would uncover him and say good morning before he showered while I was drying my hair, etc. Then, I'd head to the living room to talk to him and feed him.

That morning, hubs came back to the bedroom with a horrible look on his face, so much sadness, so much pain. I'll skip the part of the story where I was inconsolable and cried all day, for days. Misery. We drove him to mom's to bury him under the chestnut tree on the family farm that has been in the family 3 generations and likely to be for many generations to come. Joey will be with family.

Hubs has since said, and said to many people, that walking to the bedroom to tell me was the hardest thing he's ever had to do. He was our kid, our buddy, and the center of our world. I still feel lost without him.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about you losing Joey. My wife and I have 4 tiels. One Female and three males. We've only been bird owners for going on two years now and have yet to lose one but I can only imagine what your going through! At this point I realize NO bird could replace Joey but have you considered getting another tiel at some point?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your kind words. My mom has had tiels for most of the last 25 years, I've had budgies and a canary. Taxi, the canary, was with me just over 10 years, and he was such a little darling. Losing the ones I've lost, or mom's that I was around a lot, was hard. Having said that, Joey was our kid, and a very 'in your face, wanting to be with you at all times' bird. I loved every second of it. Losing him was harder than losing a lot of the humans I have lost over the years. Maybe that is blunt and harsh, but he truly was my child, and his unconditional love was something most humans could strive to learn.

We know no other bird will be the same, and we are fine with that. You can't 'replace' a bird any more than you can replace a dog, cat, or human, but we are definitely open to the idea of having another feathered child.

We're just deciding if we want to stay in the States, or move back to England. Hubs is a Brit, I'm a Yank (as he seems to enjoy putting it), and in our 13 1/2 years of marriage, we've been here, there and back here. We've been talking about going back for a couple years now, but we didn't want to stress Joey with the trip (it would cost a couple thousand in vet bills, pet clearance 'visas' and whatnot, but we'd have done it if the flight wouldn't have stressed him), and leaving him behind was never an option. Although we need the bird chatter in the house and a bird to love again, we want to decide where we want to be first, just to avoid stressing the 'new' kid. We are definitely leaning toward moving back, it is just a matter of when.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That sounds like a VERY good idea. Waiting until you decide where you want to move. I couldn't imagine taking a poor bird across the state let alone the pond! LOL! I know JUST what you mean about pets being as important as humans. As much as we love our birds we have an 11 year old male cat that seems to have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel! Poor ole thing has arthritas in his hips and it's getting harder for him to get around. He means a lot to use as he was born right here in this house while we were on vacation getting married in San Diego 11 years ago! What ever you guys decide I really hope it all works out for you and someday soon you have a new fid!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Oh no, TamaMoo. I am so sorry! :(
I can understand how hard it is for you. For me, my tiel is also like my kid (and everything or everybody else).
Joey was like my boy's brother. They had a lot in common from what you said on the board.
You have always been a very caring member. It is clear that you really love cockatiels. It is wise though to wait and see where you would like to be first before you adopt a new one.
Keep us updated!
Fly free, Joey, little angel!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Joey

Oh, so sorry! I can understand your grief, and your husband's reluctance to tell you the terrible news. It is so hard to lose them! In your case, so unexpectedly!
My previous 'tiel died of cancer, so her death was not totally unexpected, but it was still hard! At first I didn't want to think about another cockatiel, but my apartment was just too empty and silent. About 2 1/2 months after she died, I got my new 'tiel, Bennie. He is almost 6 now and very precious to me. He didn't "replace" her, but it helped heal the loneliness. Hugs to you!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm so sorry about Joey. I've always enjoyed hearing about how he was doing. This is very sad news.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Many, many hugs to you Tama and your husband from my flock and I. I hope you don't mind me asking how old Joey was when he passed?

Joey was an absolute sweetheart, I always enjoyed your posts about him and chatting with you. We will all miss him so much and I truly understand the heartache that always lingers after they are gone, it is so hard. Sometimes it comes as such a shock and it is so so difficult to come to terms with. Just please remember that you gave him so much love and such a wonderful life and it was not your fault that this happened at all. You truly loved him and he adored you and his memory will always live on.

I trust that Joey is resting in peace and flying free. Gone but never forgotten. I do hope that you get another cockatiel or another bird in the future but sometimes it is just too soon even though it's very strange not hearing those familiar chirps and chatterings. Waiting until you are more settled is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, everyone for your kind words. It is amazing how we bond to other birds, across the miles. I have shed many tears for the loss of birds I've felt a bond with on here, and on Instagram. They do have a way of finding their way into our hearts even when we've never met them.

Many, many hugs to you Tama and your husband from my flock and I. I hope you don't mind me asking how old Joey was when he passed?
He was 4 1/2 and had been with us since he was 8 weeks old. Still a youngster.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As much as we love our birds we have an 11 year old male cat that seems to have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel! Poor ole thing has arthritas in his hips and it's getting harder for him to get around. He means a lot to use as he was born right here in this house while we were on vacation getting married in San Diego 11 years ago! What ever you guys decide I really hope it all works out for you and someday soon you have a new fid!
So sorry to hear about your cat. Cats are special anyway, but for him to have such a connection to your wedding date makes him truly special.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss. Although i haven’t had to go through the heartbreak of losing a cockatiel as she (Princess) is the first I’ve ever owned, I know the heartbreak of losing your animals (family). Again, I’m so sorry about your boy, Joey. You and your husband will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m so sorry for your loss. Although i haven’t had to go through the heartbreak of losing a cockatiel as she (Princess) is the first I’ve ever owned, I know the heartbreak of losing your animals (family). Again, I’m so sorry about your boy, Joey. You and your husband will be in my prayers.
Thanks. He was truly our boy, our kid. It still seems odd, months later, to not have him with us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts