Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Mirror or no Mirror? Am I mean?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  sweetrsue 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a rescue who will try to bite my hand when I reach in the cage. He has had a mirror in his cage from his previous owners who forced him to lead a very lonely, solitary life. I'm sure the mirror kept him sane. He stares in the mirror pretty much all the time.

My friend has tiels and said if I don't remove the mirror, he will never bond with me, just the "other bird." She said he will keep biting, too. She said I can put the mirror in later when we have mutual trust.

So, I took the mirror out today. He screamed at the top of his lungs and now he's in despair. I feel terrible. I am trying to resist the temptation to put the mirror back but don't know if my friend is right. I don't want a hostile bird in the long run.

I came here right away for advice, so please tell me what you would do!

#2 ·
I have no clue, but maybe after having the mirror for so long it will be hard for him to get over not having it...would be like losing a friend I would guess... I also read where Tiels will bond with the image in the mirror, so haven't put one in Tikis cage....

I am sure someone with more experiance than I will have an answer....

#3 ·
The breeder where I got Spike from said mirrors can promote aggression. Spike was getting nippy near his new play gym and I noticed that there was a small mirror on it, so I took it off and he stoped being nippy. Once in a while I will sit him on my finger and let him look at himself in the mirror for a little bit but I will never put one in his cage.

#5 ·
I've noticed that it's a protection issue. It reminds me of the imaginary friends kids have. I tried to take it out yesterday and he just screamed bloody murder. I should have taken it out upon getting him from his jerky owners. They really manhandled him and he has no trust.

I will take it out but I feel bad.

#10 ·
I took the mirror out and the transformation has been amazing. He's stopped nipping and is all lovey dovey to ME now! He just became a different bird within hours. I even took them off the toys, as well. He's become very calm and comfortable now in his new home.
Thanks everyone.

#13 ·
Wow, my cage has two mirrors, I took one out to clean it, it was extreamly dirty from the prior owner who didn't care much for the bird =(. While cleaning it, I broke the plastic hinge which held it on the cage xDD. I should take the other one out too =O

~Blaze

#14 · (Edited)
If the bird is alone he considers the mirror another bird. I would leave it in for him. By the way there is nothing wrong with direct sunlight. You just don't want to put them in a position where they can't escape from it. They can be kept outdoors in most places but require a shelter so they can get out of the sun or the wind or the rain. Mine are indoors so I provide them with full spectrum light. Even sun through a window loses something. It is important for them to be able to get vitamin D frim the sun so that they can absorb calcium which is important for good feather development.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.