Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get my bird completely detached from his mirror reflection? I've had this problem ever since I got him, even with the mirrors covered for months he still goes crazy whenever he encounters them and screams until he gets his way. We even got him another cockatiel companion some months back but he's very aggressive towards her and only 'plays' with his mirror friend. He seems to be the happiest when he has the mirror, but it's come to a point where he'd rather not eat than leave his mirror friend. I do have a bond with him and we hang out, but for most of the day (especially mornings) he'd rather be with the mirror.

I'd also like to mention that he has absolutely no interest in toys, even shredable toys. He sees our other tiel play with toys all the time but never has any interest. He only chews/nibbles on stuff sometimes with the intention to eat it. I'm guessing that the mirror is the only thing that keeps him busy since he doesn't know how to play with toys. If he's not with the mirror, he's usually just sitting on my shoulder doing nothing.

It would be great if I could get him to start playing with toys and his real cockatiel companion instead of the mirror. Any advice is appreciated !

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
It sounds like someone other than you got him started on this mirror thing! I've heard of these kinds of things happening but have never encountered it. THIS is a good example of why one should NEVER put a mirror in a cockatiels's cage. Sadly, it sounds like he's bonded with his OWN image! I would say you can do one of two things: Either take it completely away from him and risk having a cranky bird for no telling HOW long or........just let him have it. IF you remove it, watch him often and see if you notice ANY improvements such as playing with toys or the other bird. Is this a young bird or an older one?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.