Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok now that miracle is 9 weeks old this monday i,m wondering if you can tell what she is i no she is split to pied but he colours are like a veery dark grey to almost black and some parts are black here is a pic of her
Bird Vertebrate Beak Cockatiel Parrot

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
He is adorable! And I think he's just a normal grey. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've seen some pretty dark normal greys that look a lot like Miracle. She's just lovely, you must be so proud of her for pulling through and growing up so well!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
You know, I was gonna ask a similar question about my 2 gray baby 'tiels.

One is light gray with only a bit of yellow on the head and the other one is a REALLY dark gray and has heaps of yellow on his head, so looks like one's getting the color(s) quicker than the other. :huh:

OKAY with that said, Miracle is beautiful!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Allen you could try the wing spot method. Although I have heard many people say "That not reliable, I had a male that had those spots" I have never heard anyone say I had a female that didn't. So I think it's safe to say that if you do have spots all the way to the body Miracle could be a boy or a girl but if you don't Miracle is a boy

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
It would be easier to tell if she was dry in the picture instead of wet, but she looks normal grey to me.

The wing spot method isn't terribly reliable - I had a chick with "female" spots who DNA'd male and another with "male" spots who DNA'd female. I also had 3 chicks with male spots who were indeed male and 1 with female spots who acts like a female so far. So that's an accuracy rate of two thirds at best.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
two thirds is pretty good! Some people swear by the pelvic bone test. That doesn't work at all for me. I tries the nut on a string test and it says of my gray batch I have three males and one female. The wing spots concur.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts