Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got my first cockatiel (Caspian, four-month-old lutino) five days ago! :lutino: Unfortunately, while I was asleep last night, he was messing around and ended up injuring himself. He lost his two longest feathers (the ones that form the tip) on his left wing, and has a couple of marks on his right that had been bleeding. Will he still be able to fly? If not, how long will it be before he can? Lastly, is there anything I can do to help him?

I can provide pictures if needed!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Minor injury

Oh, so sorry to hear about your cockatiel's "boo-boo." I should think he would still be able to fly with missing just 2 feathers on his wing. He might be a little off balance, but cockatiels are strong fliers and I think he will adjust. Is it his right wing that has been bleeding? You just mentioned his "right". You've probably noticed it stops quickly on its own unless it is a serious injury. I wouldn't do anything with it, except maybe clean it with a little warn water. If there is a visible wound you can put a little Neosporin or other antibiotic cream on it. Of course, if the wound looks serious, get him to a vet ASAP. Best wishes!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cockatiels are subject to night frights and often injure their wings when that happens. You can clean the blood off with peroxide. If you have a nightlight in the room with the cage, that often helps in preventing frights or injuries.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts