Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mindwipe, my retired breeding hen, is 15 this year! I've really noticed her slow down. She sits on the ladder I keep on the bottom of the aviary for her, with her mate at her side, and she will fall from the perches higher up. It's distressing hearing flutter flutter THUMP late at night. She still manages to get around the aviary, but I'm worried about her. She appears healthy otherwise. I've added more layers (Um..make that entire books) of newspaper so she doesn't injure herself when she tumbles.

Does arthritis start appearing about this time? Or am I just being paranoid at this point :) ??

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think arthritis is common in older tiels but that is based on my observations and experience only. I know Baby Boy (who lived to 27 1/2) would frequently stroke his left foot in later years, as though he was massaging it, with his beak. He did this more often when the weather was turning (a weather low was approaching) so I would call that his weather foot (I figured it was similar to people who had an injury a long time ago and the changing air pressure from passing weather systems makes the old injury area ache). I also could tell that his grip on my finger was not as strong as it once was. I don't know if anyone really knows if there is a typical time you can expect to see these changes.

I found that Baby Boy preferred to stretch his feet out flat on surfaces instead of curling them on perches. I think it felt good on his arthritis feet.
You can try flat perches in addition to lowering her existing perches (as you've done); I've found that Percy loves 'sundecks' or 'patios' that allow him to do the same thing, and he's a younger bird. They come in different sizes - I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQ2I2
on amazon's U.S. site, and a smaller size, too. Just put them in a place that won't cause the bird to get stuck between the patio and something nearby. I had success with these whereas my birds never liked the corner type platforms for some reason.
Someone else can comment on the flat perches, I never bought any, and there might be a vitamin supplement that people can recommend for arthritis relief, also something I never used.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wooohooo! Thanks for the Sundeck suggestion! I actually have one, but it's midway up the cage. I got it ages ago as a gift. I might lower it for Mindwipe :)

Again - thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts