Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His wing feathers are finally growing in! So far, about the first three primaries. He has actually started doing short flights, not much lift and short distances. Now he loves to fly to his cage when I am putting him in for the night- he then plays keep away from mom...hopefully he will learn to fly gradually without any flying into walls and such. Now if we can just get the duck butt growing out...:p

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good to hear that! It's an anxious process to watch them fly at first because they crash into everything but it's rewarding!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yay Milo! Maybe the short flights at first will help him learn to judge distances between walls and things so that by the time he is faster and flying farther, he will be good at navigating.

Joey kept a duck butt until he was between 10 and 11 months old. Milo should be getting and keeping one soon. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I told you they grow fast!

I'm sorry to say, he's gonna crash. I don't know how my bird survived. He had some nasty ones. But he did learn. Now he just falls when he doesn't pay attention when he's out exploring. He'll stretch soooo far over a gap to see if he can make it. Then flippity flop flop flop. The poor guy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I haven't popped in for a while but it is great to hear that Milo is flying! I'm so happy for you. I let my guys wings grow out too and it turned out to be the best thing I could do, even though I was so worried about it before. He flies to my head all the time and sticks with me wherever I go around the house, and got so good at flying. He had duck butt too! But he looks great now. Milo is lucky to have you as his mamma.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Go Milo! It's such a joy to see them fly :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you, I am just so proud of him...and since I posted this, lo and behold, he has two tail feathers growing out :D

J

·
0 Posts
Those tail feathers grow lightning fast.

Duck butt one day... beautiful tail the next!

My tiel literally only had 2 tail feathers after night fright accident... now 3 weeks later he has beautiful full tail with tons of feathers. Tiels have such looooooong tails.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts