Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the site and new to cockatiels as well. I've owned budgies in the past but fell in love with cockatiels. I visited a local bird store today (they breed various kinds of birds and rescue some too) and met two cockatiels.
They're both female and they were rescued from an animal hoarder over a year ago. The rest of the birds taken from that home were sold except for these two.
They are very closely bonded and can't be separated. One lost a leg due to the poor care of their previous owner. She can walk just fine but strugglings with climbing. The store hasn't been able to find a home for them because no one wants the disabled one. The pair is only $75 and comes with all the needed supplies (because the store is desperate for them to find a home.) I would love to take them but I'm worried.
Is it unwise for me to rescue two cockatiels if I have no experience with the species?
What sort of special accommodations could the disabled bird require?
Am I cut out for the job of taming two adult birds? They are currently untame (not aggressive) and I have no experience taming cockatiels.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Two cockatiels shouldn't be a huge problem if you have no experience with the species. You'd have to keep them in separate cages if you want to tame them properly. As they're going to the same home and will be seeing and hearing each other, that shouldn't be a huge issue :) As for the taming process, there's a lot of stickies in the sticky library here on the forum that can help you out. Plus there's all of us on TC! :D

The disabled bird might need softer perches and platforms where they can stand flat footed. Those are relatively easy to make/find :) and possibly more perches so climbing won't be an issue.

Whatever you decide, good luck :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some consideration (and permission from my parents) I've decided to adopt the two :)
I have some photos because they're so lovely! They're sugar and spice and everything nice ;)
Meet Sugar:

and Spice:

Sugar is the one with one leg, which you can see clearly here:

I won't be bringing them home until next week but I am very excited!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would not seperate them. With food bribery, cockatiels will tame easily enough in groups and come to enjoy your company and likely to sit on you. Just don't expect a pet that loves being petted.

·
Registered
317 Posts
They look lovely! I love the "evil eye" Spice is giving the camera, she looks like she will be a cheeky little thing!

I adopted a bird years ago from a similar situation (also my first bird) and he tamed so quickly because he was so eager for food and some company.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts