Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello hello!

I have decided to pair up Memphis and Maya again :D I did late November, but they lost interested in the box becuase I kept moving it around :( So this time I will NOT be touching it!

I put it back up yesterday, January 23rd 2008, and they are very interested in it. Maya goes in a lot per day already, and digs around for a bit. She also like to peer in and sit on the entrance perch. Memphis has yet to go in, from what I've seen, but he loves to chew the entrance perch. :cool:

They have gotten a lot better together. Before they would fight if they were close, Maya would chase Memphis away from the box, and they didnt like eachother one bit. Over time though, they have become better. Just a few minutes ago, Maya was in the box, and Memphis was on the entrance perch singing to her. Instead of her chasing him away, she walked over, and started to chew the inside of the entrance whole. Memphis then started to chew on the outside of it... and there was no bickering :eek: :D LOL!

So yeah, here are some pics and I will update you as things progress. I have yet to see mating but it's early yet ;)

Here is the link to my website, for updates on the pair:

http://www.freewebs.com/cockatielcoveaviary/index.htm

Kirby :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Oh Good luck! It sounds quite promising so far with Maya going in and out...oh, and I love your website too, looks great. :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the wishes everyone :)

For sure I will be keeping you guys updated! If not though, as I said earlier simply check my website. I update it regularly, and don't always have time to go on forums much anymore. Which is why I have hardly been around.

Anyways, I hope they have lots of gorgeous bubs too, I can't wait! Maya has been in the box a lot tonight, and Memphis has been right there on the entrance perch singing, chewing, or watching her. It's pretty cute to be honest, I know he will make THE most gentle, caring, best daddy ever! Maya on the other hand, will probably be a loving, maybe too nurturing, and might get upset at them quickly hehe. She has a short temper sometimes, so that will keep the babies in line, just like it keeps Memphis in line aswell ;) LOL

Kirby

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
***UPDATE*** (monday Jan 28th)

MEMPHIS IS IN THE BOX TODAY!!!! :D

He has never ever gone in before! I turned around (desk is in my bedroom aswell) and saw Maya but not Memphis. I was like "oh no he escaped!" Until I saw Maya peer into the box with huge eyes and I heard scratching :D

He was in for a few minutes actually, and Maya finally went in WITH him!!! They did not fight like I expected them to do (normally if one feels cornered they will lash out). There were a few minor hisses but nothing bad! I got it on video too, and took tons of pics hehe.
So after he came out from being inside for over 5 minutes, Maya was weary of going back in *rolleyes* lol. Anyways, she jumped back in and I heard her rustling around. Then I looked back a few seconds later and they are BOTH in again! :D You could see them from the entrance whole, so I took a better video of them. They were moving the shavings around with their beaks and were working together, again with no fighting! Maya left a few times (she is not use to them both being in... normally Memphis stays out and keeps guard lol) but would go back in. As soon as she left Memphis would start to chatter his beak quietly... and she would run back. I was so happy!!!

So yeah, Ill upload the video and pics soon for you guys to see and get excited with me! :p This is even more promising now, so I hope they will mate and lay fertile eggs!

Kirby :D

PS! THEY ARE BOTH IN AGAIN!!! Memphis is quietly chattering away and i hear shavings being moved around :D *jumps with joy*

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just thought that I would add and ask a question!

The box has been back in for only 4 days (wow that makes me even happier :D I thought it was more than that :eek:) and they are both going in the nest...

-is this a big step for them to do (both be in so soon after it's been on)?
-do you other breeder's find when this happens that they mate around this point in time (whent they BOTH go in the box and start to make it a home together)?
-I know the answer, but just to double check. How long after mating do eggs come? There are various opinions on this matter but some here havebred before so you will know from personal experience ;)

Ok that about sums it up for now... im so thrilled by this little step :eek::D:p I was not going to add the box back until May or April... but I just knew I should have done it now. My saying has always been 'everything happens for a reason' so maybe this is a perfect scenario ;) *wink wink nudge nudge*

Kirbs

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just thought that I would add and ask a question!

The box has been back in for only 4 days (wow that makes me even happier :D I thought it was more than that :eek:) and they are both going in the nest...

-is this a big step for them to do (both be in so soon after it's been on)?
-do you other breeder's find when this happens that they mate around this point in time (whent they BOTH go in the box and start to make it a home together)?
-I know the answer, but just to double check. How long after mating do eggs come? There are various opinions on this matter but some here havebred before so you will know from personal experience ;)

Ok that about sums it up for now... im so thrilled by this little step :eek::D:p I was not going to add the box back until May or April... but I just knew I should have done it now. My saying has always been 'everything happens for a reason' so maybe this is a perfect scenario ;) *wink wink nudge nudge*

Kirbs
Well, every pair acts different, but from my experience, I will try and help you. :p

is this a big step for them to do (both be in so soon after it's been on)?
- Yes, but it doesn't mean they want to mate or anything, most likely so, however. If they are starting to sleep in it at night together, then you might start seeing mating going on in the near future. (1-2 weeks) But this doesn't ALWAYS happen. If you ever see Memphis digging in the Shavings [or maybe even Maya], then thats a good indicator that they are infact nesting. Check in the box and see if he made a hole with the shavings.

do you other breeder's find when this happens that they mate around this point in time (whent they BOTH go in the box and start to make it a home together)?
- Yes, everytime my male goes in the nest box, makes a hole, kicks some shavings, and the female approves it (she is let in there, and stays in there) they do mate usually a few days afterwards, but it could take longer.

I know the answer, but just to double check. How long after mating do eggs come? There are various opinions on this matter but some here havebred before so you will know from personal experience ;)
- Usually 7-10 days.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh awesome thanks so much for the help :)

Ok so I should be patient and give them a few weeks to settle down before I possibly see mating. Gee I hope I see it soon, Im so excited about Memphis going in the box I can't imagine what I'll be like when they mate :eek: So far they have padded the 3" of aspen shavings down, and there are a few dips inside of the box. Not in the direct centre though...

Oh gee! Thats reassuring Sarin :D Thats basically what they are doing. Memphis will go in.. make quiet chirpy noises (wow thats a bad impression lol), I will hear shavings being moved around (and see him pick at them), she will look in, then jump in, and they will both be in the box for a while. At first they stand around, but then I'll hear digging and see them both with shavings in their beaks. Maya's newest thing is to throw them out of the box entrance perch. My budgies did that aswell.. in preparation for making it the way they want it. Do you think that is what Maya is doing? or just playing with them :rolleyes:

Thanks again Sarin, I will keep you all posted and upload the pics and the video(s) tomorrow for you all :)

Kirby

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh awesome thanks so much for the help :)

Ok so I should be patient and give them a few weeks to settle down before I possibly see mating. Gee I hope I see it soon, Im so excited about Memphis going in the box I can't imagine what I'll be like when they mate :eek: So far they have padded the 3" of aspen shavings down, and there are a few dips inside of the box. Not in the direct centre though...

Oh gee! Thats reassuring Sarin :D Thats basically what they are doing. Memphis will go in.. make quiet chirpy noises (wow thats a bad impression lol), I will hear shavings being moved around (and see him pick at them), she will look in, then jump in, and they will both be in the box for a while. At first they stand around, but then I'll hear digging and see them both with shavings in their beaks. Maya's newest thing is to throw them out of the box entrance perch. My budgies did that aswell.. in preparation for making it the way they want it. Do you think that is what Maya is doing? or just playing with them :rolleyes:

Thanks again Sarin, I will keep you all posted and upload the pics and the video(s) tomorrow for you all :)

Kirby
Hehe. Bungie has always kicked a lot of the shavings out to prepare th 'nest' the way he likes it. So that may be what your pair is doing now.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok good. But it seems that Maya will take one at a time, chew on it, then throw it over the edge out the door. Memphis just chews them and moves them around but keeps them in the box.

Both have been in the box a lot this morning, mostly together! It seems that if one goes in, the other follows ;) They also preened eachother this morning on my hand. They wont in the cage but if im holding them they will hehe

Kirby!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Just a question are you sure there a bonded pair? if there not bonded chances are they won't mate, if there not preening each other or feeding each other in the cage it doesn't sound like they have bonded yet ;)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
They are not a bonded pair per say. However on the other hand they don't need to be. Im fact, many pairs are not, yet they mate and lay and grow gorgeous babies, as a team. Cockatiel pairs preen, but don't feed eachother either ;)
hmmm thats interesting most breeders I know say and all the literature says a pair has to be bonded thats the first I have heard of that ;)

Bonded Cockatiel pairs do feed each other I have seen it and if a Cockatiel is bonded to you they will try and feed you also

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.