Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Tim, my cockatiel.. he's 21 years old now (22 this year) and still going strong! I'm Christian, I'm 30 and we live in Denmark (Scandinavia/ Northern Europe).
He used to be the family bird, and was bought around 1994 I think.. after we got a dog a few years later we wasn't much out of his cage, only maybe once or twice a week. (He sure out lived the dog who "only" turned 15). After the family split up he ended at my moms place, since it was her and my older sister who really wanted him.. I didn't really had anything to do with him the first half of his life, but after I've had looked after him when she was on vacation many years ago, he just stayed at my place since he could get out more.. then I lived in a small apartment, and he was always out when I was home. We moved around 5 years ago and now he has the best time of his long life! I'm back in school so I have a lot of spare time and are often home, which means he can be out of his cage a lot.. he likes to sit on my leg or shoulder, and eat my food. Whenever I'm eating something, he comes flying to sit on my shoulder, and I have to feed him whatever I'm eating, by putting small pieces on the tip of my tongue :D guest tend to think this is very strange or disgusting, but he bites my ear and complains a lot if I don't do it. He loves meat, even chicken, kinda bizarre I know, especially since he's not a carnivore. But maybe that's the reason he's so old and strong, he's kinda heavy, weighing 100-102 grams (3,5-3,6 oz), has a a thick and fine feather suit and a nice crest on his head. He doesn't shed a lot of feathers and is genuinely healthy. He's only been sick once or twice in his life, latest last year after we ate some shrimp (won't do that again) and he threw up and looked terrible, but he recovered after a few days and was back in his old game and good mood.
He's very happy, curious and active - he likes to talk/sing to socks and everything grey, white or blue. My sister once had a white cockatiel which was kinda crazy, he did not like a nother bird at all, and is terrified whenever the birds outside fly by the window, or are making a ruckus, but it's not stressing him out or anything. When I'm not home he's in the window in in his cage looking out getting some day light.
When I'm in the kitchen, he goes with me and sit on an oven mitten on top of the micro oven, and some times he takes a bath by the sink. I don't know how long he has left, which of course makes me sad, but then again, he's had a long and good life, and if he dies here, the last period of his life will be the best he's ever had. I believe the record for a
cockatiel is like 35 years or so, so who knows, maybe we yet have a lot of time together :) is there anyone out there with cockatiels as old or older than Tim?
Hope you can see the images of him.. don't know why they're sideways though :-/ I have a lot of pictures, but I can only upload 5 :) hope you guys have some comments, or if you have questions please bring 'em.. - From me and Tim.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Velkommen til forummet :)
Mine tiels er ikke helt så gamle, jeg har Charlotte på 8, Tjotte på 5, og de har lige pt. junior (intet navn endnu) på ca. 12-13 dage.
Det er et godt forum, håber at i falder til her.
:grey tiel:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Velkommen fra Norge også. Han var jammen i form til å være så gammel. Det virker som du tar godt vare på ham. Min 16-årige Elvis oppfører seg som om han er 100 år gammel. Det er alltid hyggelig med nye medlemmer så velkommen skal du være.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
He looks fantastic for his age!! Way to go. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I know there are some tiels here on here who are fairly old, mine are only 5 and 6.
Tim looks great for his age :)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Great story of you and Tim :) And wow, he looks wonderful for a twenty two year old bird!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome from Milo and I! Tim looks great, you are so lucky to have him!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hello! Welcome to you and your beautiful Tim tiel from Percy and me :) :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! Tim is gorgeous :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome and Hi, from me and Maxi! Tim looks great, and nearly 22 too ! Glad there's more "oldies" about, my Maxi will be 18 this year but acts just like she always has, so I have no idea what actually is "old" for a cockatiel!

Look forward to hearing more of Tim's adventures :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts