Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya, everyone, I would like to show you all pictures of my baby Stitch. He is not my first bird, I did have cockatiels while I was growing up. Though sadly when it was time for me to go to college, and unable to protect them from my sister's bird I had to do the heartbreaking move to rehome my babies. Fast forward, I live in a different house. With my sister's bird isn't allow in my room. At the same time, my anxiety and depression were getting worse. There was this small cure that brought me happiness is to visit this one shop that has cockatiels. I always kept on promising myself, when I and my boyfriend move out. I will have a cockatiel in my life again.

Because we were renting from my grandfather and on the lease was agreed for two pets my dog Mochi and my sister's bird. At the same time, I was in therapy. I had mentioned how being near a tiel relaxes and not make me so anxious. My therapist recommends me to mention having a bird in my life to my family. To hopefully make more visits to the shop so I can spend time with tiels.

What I didn't expect, is my grandfather saying I can get a bird. This happened when I had a really bad episode and my boyfriend was cheering me up. My sister was talking to my grandpa on the phone and poked her head in the room saying " Hey grandpa said you can get a bird." I was shocked, I thought I was having a dream. Pinched myself, nope not dreaming this was real! So I called the shop to see if there are any babies available they said yes and me and sis jumped in the car. All the while sis was saying " we might not have found the bird today. And may have to come back another day." I agreed, half expecting not to find the right baby that day.

Once in the shop, I went to the cockatiel area of the store, there weren't a lot of babies. Fun fact about the shop, they allow you to interact with the birds. So they could be more socialize and use to people while being whined off to be taken home. So as a test I put my hand in the pen to see if any of them would crawl onto it. The majority of them were shy and not want to come near me. Then this tiny pearl decided to crawl into my hand. We hung out a little, he let me pet him. Sis suggested I should put him back and see if any other baby would want to say hi. However, when I tried to put this little baby back. They refused, as in refused to get off of my shoulders and hand.

When my sister helped me to get him off, I went to put my hand in the pen. That was a mistake because this little mad lad climbed onto another baby to jump right onto my hand. And started to cuddle into my cheek refusing to leave and melted my heart. This was the one.

Upon paying for them, I thought of one name that kinda made sense to me. For those who don't know. I make handmade plushies as a hobby. And originally I was planning on naming my bird sewing related. At the same time, I'm also a fan of Lilo and Stitch. So, Stitch is a perfect chaotic name for this tiny screaming child. I visit the shop almost every single day until he was ready to come home. All the time causing us to bond more each day.

Even thinking of training him to become my emotional support animal due to how he calms me down even if I have a bad day to trigger an episode. Finally, the day arrived to bring him home. The first night wasn't easy, he had a night fright, and I comfort him. Mochi being an old grump wasn't happy. So no one was getting the sleep that night. After that, Stitch is my little chaotic child. And had helped prevent me from an episode from starting or if I was having one, immensely makes a fuss and gets on me and refuses to move until I'm calmed down. You, my anxiety episodes can get really bad. To the point where I harmed myself badly if I'm under a lot of stress or my depression was at its worst that day. Stitch had managed to make sure I haven't gotten to that point. Before the lockdown, I use to bring him with me to my therapy sessions where he would come out of his carrier and sits on my shoulder for the whole session. Not wanting to leave my side.

Now Stitch is a happy one-year-old. I still don't know if they are a boy or a girl. Stitch talks a lot and knows some words. One of those words, I really don't want him to repeat if he's being babysat by anyone else who isn't my boyfriend or my friends. And I am guilty of teaching them that. I curse my inner gamer while playing. They will jabber and whistle while I nap, tickle my ears and happy beak grinding. I would love to know what is Stitch's true gender is to be better prepared for the future. But, for now, I'm just happy they're with me and being my little cuddle bean.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm glad you have a sweet new bird to enjoy. Thanks for sharing your story :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts