Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'd like to introduce Mr. Jack to you. Well, I hope he is Mr :) Can you give me some guesses on Sex and Age? I got him about 2 weeks ago, and the pet shop (which I don't trust much) said it's 2 months old. I suspected he might a bit younger. Been on formula since then, but the past couple of days, started to eat seeds, pallets and drinking water. Still I give him some formula 1-2 times a day, half a spoon, and he's not finishing them (good stuff).

He's active, all signs are good. There are some empty spaces under his wings with no feathers (hope they'll grow?). And when a bit wet, his chest feather shows some blank areas as well. Normal, right?

One last thing, he cries a lot. When he sees me, he flies right at me (mostly on my head). When I'm hiding (or going out) he starts to call me. The second he sees me, start to cry, I hold him, and he cries, etc.. But since yesterday, I noticed it's less. Not complaining, it's great he loves me, no? :)

Here are his pictures:

J

·
0 Posts
If he's just a baby, he may become less clingy as he gets older. Not necessarily though.
I wouldn't count on that lol My tiel actually became more clingy and he's now turning 3 yrs old in 2 months and stalks me every second of the day I cannot get rid of him. Clingy is a good thing though, IMO... I think it's cute and it mean your tiel like you ;)

I resolved my tiel's screaming after me by simply giving in so my tiel basically now lives on my body 24/7. If I have to cook something in kitchen I simply put him in another room and turn the radio on loud in the room he's in... he really loves the radio and he actually starts to sing rather than scream after me. Radio has to be loud enough so he cannot hear me in the kitchen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought he'd grow out of the crying as he get older :/ i read that somewhere..

I owned two other cockatiels, they never cry.. Only when I introduced one to another, she was afraid... But after a couple of weeks she stopped to the point they mated ?

So any guesses of sex/age/feather thing I mentioned earlier for Mr Jack?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi guys,

I'd like to introduce Mr. Jack to you. Well, I hope he is Mr
Can you give me some guesses on Sex and Age? I got him about 2 weeks ago, and the pet shop (which I don't trust much) said it's 2 months old. I suspected he might a bit younger. Been on formula since then, but the past couple of days, started to eat seeds, pallets and drinking water. Still I give him some formula 1-2 times a day, half a spoon, and he's not finishing them (good stuff).

He's active, all signs are good. There are some empty spaces under his wings with no feathers (hope they'll grow?). And when a bit wet, his chest feather shows some blank areas as well. Normal, right?

One last thing, he cries a lot. When he sees me, he flies right at me (mostly on my head). When I'm hiding (or going out) he starts to call me. The second he sees me, start to cry, I hold him, and he cries, etc.. But since yesterday, I noticed it's less. Not complaining, it's great he loves me, no?

Here are his pictures:

Thanks
Just make sure Mr. Jack is eating enough - sounds like it based on what you've written - but just be sure. I confused my tiels crying as an act for attention but it turned out he wasn't properly weaned.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Your bird is beautiful~~!!! Not to be nosey, but I think I saw a pack of ciggies nearby, and just a friendly reminder that smoking can be very bad for your tiel. Sorry if it offends you, and I am sure you already know it, but just in case.... ;)
Its hard to tell the sex with them unless you know the genetics, or do a DNA test. A lot of the people on this list are very good with the genetics. Do you know what type of mutations his/her parents are? I posted pics of the parents and all the chicks, and they were correct with what they said about my new baby. I am sure someone can help you here.
Welcome to the group!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@sprman00: Yea I'm always keeping him stuffed, pretty sure of that one. Plus, he's eating pallets now on his own so that comforts me when I'm not in the home.

@Jojo Of course, not smoking inside! It's good how you noticed it tho ;)

Nothing I know about "his" parents...

I think I'll just have to wait.. I think whistling is going to be my best shot if he's male or not. Speaking of that, normally, at what age they start whistling?
Also, any idea at what age they will be fully feathered? I mean in every single corner?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
He/she looks like a lutino pied. Lutinos are not usually as fully feathered as other mutations, so it's normal for your lutino to have a few bald/thin patches. Feathers around those areas can grow to cover the bare areas, but I wouldn't count on them disappearing altogether. Time will tell, though.

Such a gorgeous baby! :love:

·
Registered
786 Posts
My JoJo started whistling almost right away...I kept talking to him and within a month he had picked up "whatcha doin" and "hello", and it went crazy fast after that. It got to where he would add words randomly and had quite the vocabulary after that. He knew two songs also. So keep talking and whistling to him!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks nassrah, CharVicki and Jojo :)

Lutino mutation known for no feathers on top of their head. Jack head's perfectly feathered.

Today when I came back home, I notice both wings have dry blood. I looked on the cage's ground and found two feathers there.

He lost two feathers. The blood is dry so there is no bleeding. He's active, eating, etc...

Is this normal?

·
Registered
786 Posts
He may have had a fright, and thrashed around the cage a bit. They were probably blood feathers that came off. He should be fine. Cockatiels are prone to night frights also, for no particular reason, other than something frightens them in the dark and they thrash about, sometimes losing or breaking feathers. I kept a night light near JoJo's cage and it was just enough that he could see a little while his cover is on, and not be frightened. It worked because he never had another one after his first.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sorry, duplicate post and I don't know how to get rid of it :eek:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Mr Jack

He/she looks like a lutino pied. Lutinos are not usually as fully feathered as other mutations, so it's normal for your lutino to have a few bald/thin patches. Feathers around those areas can grow to cover the bare areas, but I wouldn't count on them disappearing altogether. Time will tell, though.

Such a gorgeous baby! :love:
I agree with CharVicki. I wanted to let you know my previous 'tiel was a lutino. She had a couple of bald spots her whole life. They were not real noticeable; there was a little area under each wing, and she had a bald spot behind her crest. But like I said, they did not detract from her appearance or hinder her flight in any way. She was a hen; I don't know if gender makes much of a difference. I also noticed in handling Bennie that his feathers do feel "fuller" and thicker than hers did.
Congrats on your beautiful new friend!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts