Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've brought home a new addition to my flock. Meet (tentatively-named) Cricket, the approx. 1-year-old Peach Fronted Conure!

As some of you may know, I work at a locally owned pet store. Some months ago, we had a peach fronted conure dubbed "Peaches" by the dept. manager. Everyone grew very attached to him/her and was a little sad when s/he was finally sold. Unfortunately, s/he was sold to a man who would not listen when we told him what owning a conure, especially an aratinga, would mean. Recently he sold her back to the store saying she was "annoying" because she would yell and chatter when he would watch TV.
She came back head-shy (she used to love scritches before we sold her - luckily she's warming up again!), underweight, and in poor feather.

So I brought her home. She has a "new bird" exam appointment this week to make sure everything's alright. Hopefully with a good diet, lighting, and a vet trip to check her over, she'll be back up to par. <3 S/he also talks and will say "hello" and "I love you". <3
Everyone has called this little birb a "she" for so long, it's become habit! I ordered a DNA sexing kit from AvianBiotech so hopefully I'll know for sure whether I had a boy or girl within the coming weeks.

Does anyone know anything about PFconure bands? S/he has a closed ring band that says 'EDNA 401'.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Ajnksjecshjgv. This is just too much for me.

Congratulations Hope!! She is sooo adorable! I know a little bit of all conures, but nothing exclusive on 1 single species (except blue crowns, I'm over them). She'll have a very happy home with you for sure :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Beautiful baby! :love:

Some people just can't be told what they don't want to hear. I've never understood why someone who doesn't like noise would even consider a bird. Still, the little one is going to have an amazing life with you! :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Oh my god she is stunning!!

I hate seeing an animal go home with someone who refuses to listen to the "cons" of having that species.. You can just tell that it's not going to go very well for the animal =/ I got Bandit (GCC) from a lady who got him at a bird fair JUST because he was pretty, even though the seller tried to warn her about the noise he would make. Apparently GCC are typically quieter than most other conure species but Bandit is extremely vocal lol.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ajnksjecshjgv. This is just too much for me.

Congratulations Hope!! She is sooo adorable! I know a little bit of all conures, but nothing exclusive on 1 single species (except blue crowns, I'm over them). She'll have a very happy home with you for sure :)
Thanks, Steph! I think I may have to poke you for a new signature pretty soon here. ;)
S/he's SUCH a sweet bird, and honestly, not very noisy for an aratinga. She has her moments but they're not unbearable or even "annoying". She's just expressing her joy. :)

Beautiful baby! :love:

Some people just can't be told what they don't want to hear. I've never understood why someone who doesn't like noise would even consider a bird. Still, the little one is going to have an amazing life with you! :)
Exactly my thoughts, Tama! I'm actually really glad he brought her back to us because there's no telling where she might have ended up at.
Buddy, the white-bellied caique, we had was also bought as an impulse buy early this year. (The man's reason was literally word-for-word, "I've never had an exotic pet like this before.") He later sold Buddy to the pet store down the street because he "didn't have time" and Buddy "didn't like [his] girlfriend". He'd ruined that bird. :( Buddy seemed to remember me when I went to visit him, but he had become really bad about going into his cage (they also had him a tiny cage meant for a cockatiel) and he was also aggressive with nearly everyone. He nailed one of their employees so badly that she ended up having to get stitches.

Sometimes it's super frustrating to work at a pet store. >__< We're allowed to turn down someone if we think the animal would not be a good fit, but some of the employees either don't care or just don't know enough about that animal and its specific needs and care requirements.

Oh my god she is stunning!!

I hate seeing an animal go home with someone who refuses to listen to the "cons" of having that species.. You can just tell that it's not going to go very well for the animal =/ I got Bandit (GCC) from a lady who got him at a bird fair JUST because he was pretty, even though the seller tried to warn her about the noise he would make. Apparently GCC are typically quieter than most other conure species but Bandit is extremely vocal lol.
Thank you!! I love her! <3

I know what you mean! It's so terribly frustrating. I also added another budgie to my flock this summer when a woman dropped him off at the store in a box. The animal dept. manager gave him to me, so I took him home.
Bandit's lucky he ended up with you eventually!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
S/he is adorable, gotta love that face :) I am glad she found a home with you. Some people....people like the guy who took her first...I will never figure out.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
**Flails with excitement** I used to have a Peach Front Conure named Moonie! He was a ripe little brat who loved to pick on the cockatiels. Unfortunately he passed when he was just over a year and a half old. I remember when I was picking him up from the pet store (They breed most of their birds themselves). I visited once a week until he was weaned :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Gorgeous!! :love: Congrats!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts