Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a 'tiel a lot lately and after doing a lot of research I have wondered if maybe getting a cockatiel wouldn't be the easiest thing.
I live in Cyprus as most of you know, and I don't plan on staying here. I plan on studying and afterwards living in Australia. I've visited Australia about 3 times. It was the first place I went to on holiday outside of the UK and I love it! We are even planning on going on a 2 month trip there in around 1year 6months, where we will spend just over 1 month in Australia and just under 1 month in New Zealand. The only reason we didn't move there was because of my Dad's work as he needed to be inside Europe. I wouldn't go back to the UK when I leave home because I want to work with animals and jobs involving them are extremely rare there because so many people want them. Also the crime rate goes up every month and I'm not sure if after living in the safest country in Europe I'd want to go back there.
Cockatiels can live for 20+ years and it is extremely hard to ship native birds into Australia, as well as expensive, and I don't want to leave any bird behind if I do move. Especially one that you can create such a bond with, as you can with a tiel.
I think I'll have to wait a few years. It might be a long time but I believe that everything happens for a reason, so maybe the reason is that I will eventually have the perfect tiel. My family will definitely include birds when I'm older! Even if I do have to wait a while. :)

Thank you to everyone who has helped me, I will stick around since I've done so much research it'd be a shame to waste it! :D Who knows, I might even still be here in 10 years time?!

Tia

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Tia I was very impressed by your post not many people take the time to think things through and you did and you made such a wise decision good for you, its so easy to want something and not to think down the road especially at a young age some people don't realize what a committment it can be and tiels can live for a long time. Just because you don't have a tiel right now doesn't mean you can't stick around with all the research you have done I am sure you will have lots to share with others ;) and when you do get your tiel eventually you will be the perfect parent :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tia I was very impressed by your post not many people take the time to think things through and you did and you made such a wise decision good for you, its so easy to want something and not to think down the road especially at a young age some people don't realize what a committment it can be and tiels can live for a long time. Just because you don't have a tiel right now doesn't mean you can't stick around with all the research you have done I am sure you will have lots to share with others ;) and when you do get your tiel eventually you will be the perfect parent :)
Thank you Laura.
My parents make fun of me for planning ahead most of the time but it's the only way I can really make decisions and be sure about them. I have done a lot if research so I can use it in another way for now. :)
When I was making my decision I even went on a pet shipping website and got a whole online booklet about shipping birds to Australia. It's very hard and costs way too much for me. Even when I do start earning money! :D
I do find it hard to see why some people are so irresponsible in the fact that they buy a bird that'll live sometimes longer than them! I pointed it out to one of my friends who owns a cockatiel that if she was going to go anywhere else then the tiel would be left with her parents. I couldn't believe it when she said 'Well, I could just sell her?'!!! I was thinking, what are you even doing with that bird?!

Thanks again, Tia

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Tia like Laura said it was a good idea to think it through, before you do get a cockatiel. Your friend shouldn't have got a cockatiel, because she mustn't really love it, to just think of selling her tiel like that. :mad:

I thought it through before wanting a bird, but once I decided I wanted one that was it I was asking ever minute of the day, it took 2 years to get one, my dad went crazy because I stuck sticky notes everywhere saying BUDGIE! Because I wanted 2 budgies but there was only on baby budgie so we got Earl aswell :)

Don't rush things, good things are worth waiting for :D

Sophia

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I'm also impressed. Most people don't consider their tiel's future in their plans and then decide they have to leave them behind (school, moving, divorce..etc). You will make a great tiel mommy someday!

'Well, I could just sell her?'!!! I was thinking, what are you even doing with that bird?!

I agree 100%. I could NEVER sell or give away Baby, Ziggy or any of the budgies. Over my dead body.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I agree with the others, you have certainly thought this through and come up with a sensible solution. I agree with you about coming back to the UK, if I was able, I'd be out of here like a shot. There is nothing here for young people any more, the crime rate is growing daily, there is total lack of respect, total apathy, gangs of feral kids roaming around the streets, mugging people, stabbings, gun crime.....why would anybody want to come back here. I have a daughter in USA and a son in Italy, there is no way on this earth would I encourage them to come back to the UK to live. Anyway, I'm sort of sidetracking, I think you have made a wise decision, because if you had gone ahead and then found out that you couldn't afford to take your tiel to Australia, that would have been heartbreaking for you.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
That's very responsible to think ahead like that! Maybe you'll be able to add a cockatiel to your family when you've moved to Australia. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all! :D
I will be adding a cockatiel to my family one day and that's for sure!
Pookie, England is a lot different to Cyprus. We get both the England and Cyprus newspapers. The front of the English one is normally plastered with either stuff about M.Mccan or about the latest murder case. Here, it's about some political stuff because nothing else here happens. Unfortunately,if there is something bad that has happened, it normally involves drunken English people on holiday. I do miss some things about England but not enough to make me want to go back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts