Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiel Oscar is about 1 year old. I got him from Petsmart back in October. He is my first bird ever and so I will admit that I don't know too much about illness and what to look for. He has seemed perfectly fine the whole time I have had him. He likes to puff up though. Not all the time, but a fair amount of the day he will be sitting on his perch a little puffy, looking completely content. I received a notice from Petsmart in December saying that he may have been exposed to psittacosis. It listed the symptoms as being lethargic, not eating, watery droppings. Oscar had none of those symptoms so I did not worry about it.

He had a night fright a few days ago and managed to break a bunch of his tail feathers and he was favoring his right wing. So I took him to the vet to get the feathers addressed. The vet told me that Oscar had a vitamin A deffeciancy and gave him a shot. He also said that Oscar is not supposed to be puffy ever unless frightened. He should always be smooth. I told him about the notice I got from petsmart about psittacosis and he prescribed Vibramycin for Oscar to treat it in case he has it, as that would explain him being puffed up alot.

To wrap it up, I guess my question is this: Is it ever ok for a tiel to be puffed up? Does it ALWAYS mean illness? Because to be honest, Oscar seems to be happy as a clam (a puffy clam, but happy nontheless). I really liked the vet, but I hope he wasn't exaggerating just a bit on the severity of a fluffed up bird. Any insight would be great, thanks!:)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum thats great you took Oscar to the vet and are getting him taken care of, birds fluff up their feathers to keep warm, and also when they relax for sleep ... and also when sick. A bird who sits puffed up much of the day is more likely a sign of illness.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info Laura. I just love this little guy to pieces and I want to make sure to fix him up good as new if there is a problem. I have been giving him the vibramycin the last 2 days. He is not thrilled about it, but begrudgingly he will take it. I hope it helps:D

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I imagine he wouldn't be thirlled ...lol your doing a great job and its obvious he is in very loving hands ;) hopefully he will be all better soon :)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Like Laura said birds fluff up their feathers when they are relaxed for sleep, and to keep warm but if they are fluffed up for most of the day, this is a sign of illness! Lets hope the vet got the right diagnosis! :D Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
That's good that he's been treated for psittacosis, better to be safe! :D I hope he perks up soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the encouragment:D We are on day 3 of the medicine, no noticeable signs of change yet, but I guess with a 3 week prescription it might take a week or more to notice any difference. He has stopped whistling to me though, which makes me a little sad. He has reverted back to plain old "sqwauk". I haven't heard a friendly wolf whistle in about 2 days. I am wondering if the medicine has him feeling a little out of sorts. Other then that, he seems to be fine.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'm surprised it's only three weeks if he's being treated for psittacosis. Usually psittacosis is treated for a minimum of 45 days to kill the bug at all stages of the bacteria's life cycle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vet prescribed the syrup for 21 days, but I have a check up in 2 weeks, so I will ask him then if I should give it to Oscar for longer. Can anyone tell me how I can make a cutie-patootie picture of Oscar like you all have? Very cute :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Can anyone tell me how I can make a cutie-patootie picture of Oscar like you all have? Very cute :D
Are you talking about the signatures we have under our posts? You can make them using a program like Photoshop. :) Or i can make you one if you like, just post some pics in the Photos section that you want me to use.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update. Oscar had his re-check yesterday and it didn't go as well as I was hoping. The medication that I have been giving him did not seem to help with his fluffyness at all. And he managed to lose weight since his last visit :( So, my vet checked his droppings for parasites (spelling??) and found none, which is good news, and gave him an injection of a super strong antibiotic. He also told me to stop giving oscar the medicine I was previously giving him and changed to a stronger antibiotic that I am to give him twice daily. The vet said that if we are on the right track now, I should be able to tell a difference in the next day or so. **fingers crossed** It may be too soon to say, and maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part, but he does seem to be a bit more streamlined and not as poofy today. ;)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Thanks for the update Becky I was wondering how Oscar was doing hopefully he is on the right track now, good to hear he is not as poofy today sounds like progress :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a picture I just took of him, looking a little less puffy :D Pay no attention to the little pink goo next to his beak, he refuses to hold his head still for his medicine :p He likes to sit on my computer monitor and watch me do my homework. And I think he likes the warmth on his feet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts