Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back to that store I mentioned and got the 2.5kg bag of formula for Max. I was going to order an Aviator harness for him from eBay today, but I figured i'd wait and have a little look around the store and sure enough, they had a few Aviators in the toy/accessory isle! I snagged the last medium. It's black.

I got home and watched the dvd, then took Max to the table and started playing around with the harness. I took it slow, but he just didn't care at all! He was more interested in the chop and grapes I had for him to munch on while I harassed him lmao.

I got it over his head, under his wings and done up and he just couldn't have cared less if he tried. He got a tiny bit funny when I did it all the way up because he's not used to the pressure on his front like that (wasn't tight but he still isn't used to it), but other than that he was perfect. He went back about his foraging business shortly after.

We're both still getting used to it when he steps up, because he's only recently started stepping up and with the harness on the leash kind of gets in the way, but that's something we'll learn together.

He did such a good job! So proud of him <3 I knew he'd be pretty chill about it but I honestly didn't expect to get it all the way on and done up on the first day.

:love:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Oh my, he is so cute! Good for you getting the harness on with the first try- he must really be laid back. Milo would be biting me to pieces if I even tried!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww what a total sweetie! Great job! :D

Getting the harness on Coco was a real mission.. I ended up flagging that idea, as I couldn't figure out a way to get the harness on without hurting his handicapped wing. Poor little guy, he loved being able to go outside and forage in the grass. Maybe I could try the harness with Mabel.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aww poor Coco :( Definitely give it a go with Mabel! The younger you can get them started the better. I wasn't able to get one for the tiels today but i'm ordering one next week. I suspect it's probably going to be a struggle to get Zoe to accept it lol. I might start her off slow using Max's, just until the tiel sized one comes in. If I can have her somewhat OK with having the thing over her head I might have half a chance of fitting it properly lol.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Way to go! I have no doubt Joey would try to eat me if I tried putting one on him. He loves scritches, and is okay with hands as long as he doesn't have to step up. But he doesn't like anything new, so I fear he'd attack it and me to get it to go away. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great Job! It's not so easy on the 'suspicious Cockatiel':p haha. But through a week training my girl got trained:smart: Your boy is a sweetie!

~Skye

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking Panda might be a little more accepting than Zoe. He doesn't mind much either lol. We'll see. Zoe might surprise me! I doubt it though :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got a harness not too long ago for Obi, but he can't stand it! He really hates anything touching his back or neck, so I may just have to save it for whenever I get him a buddy/girlfriend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts