Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'll be short, just have a simple question.

What are the effects of breeding a couple of Pied tiels with very similar pied patterns (for instance 2 heavy pieds like these)?
Will the babies be born with roughly the same pattern or can light and even clear pied show up as well?
If its the latter scenario, would breeding similar pied tiels increase the chance for that same pied or is it completely random?

I've been searching for the answer to this question but couldn't find anything so far, please help!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Breeding pieds is like rolling a dice: you'll get a number, but what number exactly is a mystery. You can get light pieds, heavy pieds, dirty faced pieds, and everything in between. You'll never know. So to answer your question: no, heavy pieds won't only produce heavy, and light won't only produce light.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My pair where both are split pied produces everything from a nice heavy pied to a bird where the only pied marking is a couple of clear flights on each side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
The pied pattern is more or less random, and it's thought that there are a lot of secondary genes that influence the pattern. The chicks may or may not come out looking like their parents depending on exactly which gene combination they got.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the replies!
I thought maybe there were slight genetic variations of the Pied mutation but, if its exactly the same for all, then I agree with @tielfan. There might be secondary genes linked to the phenotype differences but its still a bit random nonetheless.
I was hoping I could easily maximize the chance of breeding beautiful simetric heavy pied patterns.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
They say that breeding a heavy pied to a light pied is a good technique for doing this. The markings on both parents should be as symmetrical as possible. I have no idea how well it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts