Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Mating calls

504 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  FitzTheCockatiel 
#1 ·
Hello! My female cockatiel performed her first mating call yesterday and she did it again today... Both times while she was eating her seeds in the table. This whole thing didn't last much, and she continued to eat. She is the only bird I own, so I don't really understand why she does that, I mean is it normal or is it somehow my fault? She enjoys being petted (I know I should not pet her anywhere else that her head and neck) but I sometimes kiss her in the wings, as I've read that only stroking the wings/back makes cockatiels hormonal and therefore thought it was okay. Could that be a reason, or females start to do that eventually regardless? Also I noticed that once while mate-calling she approached me and tried to put her head under my finger, I guess for me to pet her. I have read that some birds think their owner as their mate, so I freaked out a bit. Please help:confused: Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.