Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster. We have 1 female cockatiel, female, 3 years old named Professor. She's not playful but is very bonded to me and always wants to be with me or she will just screech and call for me constantly.

She doesn't really want to walk on the floor or hang out independently outside of her cage; she will sometimes be ok with doing that if I'm nearby but she almost always just wants to sit on my shoulder, or if I'm on the couch, behind me. Like I said, she doesn't really want to play or interact with anything, just chill on me.

My question is; what do y'all do to manage your 'tiels poop all over the place? I constantly have poo on my shirt and often am stepping in it on the floor or leaning or sitting on it. Today poop got in my baby's hair! One time she pooped right into a bowl of noodles I was eating.

I'm pretty comfortable with a certain amount of poop but im starting to get icked out with poo on everything and I'm concerned for my baby. One time she put a piece of dried bird poo in her mouth!

How does everyone else manage their bird's poo? She's not down with flight suits, I already tried... But maybe I need to keep trying? She walks around in it very awkwardly. Any suggestions or tips for keeping the poo down to a manageable amount or limiting how it gets on everything without restricting her to her cage?

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
If the location is suitable for it, you can drape a sheet across the area where she hangs out, and then wash the sheet once a week or whatever interval suits you. You can drape a large pillowcase across your shoulders to protect your clothes, or look online for a poop protector designed for this purpose (I don't remember what these poop protectors are actually called). If the cloth on your shoulder has a bit of a pocket on the bottom, it might help prevent poop from landing on the floor when she drops a bomb off your shoulder.

The best way to keep poop out of your food is to not let her sit on your bowl or plate lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My male is like that, he's not playful, but likes to perch/preen/nap on my fist. He's not with me a year yet, having to tame him back from being pet to some children. "It's mean, it bites!" Nope, he's sweet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Drape some very light-weight oil cloth (sold at fabric stores and big-box stores) over wherever you need to. I say oil cloth, but any non-porous material will work. Poop is liquid-y, so a typical sheet, etc. just lets the liquid part seep through.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just have an assortment of old shirts which have now become bird shirts and wear them over my clothes when I get indoors. My lady tiel loves sitting on my shoulder or head all around the house. When we eat the birds are in their cage and usually they like to eat at the same time as us.

We have tiled floors and I let them poo all they like, as its usually just around their cage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts