Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have had both female and male cockatiels, I have a question. How are their personalities different? A breeder told me that the males were more "lovey" and affectionate ....I thought it was supposed to be the opposite. :confused: What do you think? Also, what differences have you noticed between female and male personalities.....
Thanks ... Linda

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
The widely spread opinion is that females are cuddly and quiet, while males are loud and goofy. Cookie, my female, is cuddly and quiet. Bailee, my male, is loud, goofy and super cuddly.

Cookie is generally easy going, calm in most situations and she doesn't put up with not getting what she wants (talk about being a princess). She doesn't have the desire to be on me constantly but she does fly over to sit on me and beg for head scratches. She will sit with her head bent down for a VERY long time provided i'm hitting the right spot. If i, or Bailee, hit the wrong spot then we get a little temper tantrum. She'll always give us a second chance though.

Bailee is about as dumb and dorky as you can get. He loves his mummy and MUST be on my shoulder at all times. If i'm not available dad or Tim (brother) have to Bailee-sit while i'm in the bathroom, kitchen, etc. That's the most annoying thing about him. Other than that he's always singing his songs, flirting with Cookie (when she's on me too), and generally being a cuddly idiot. He loves his kisses and head scratches.

The thing i don't like about MR Bailee is he gets hormonal from time to time and has random temper tantrums. His bites HURT! When he's in one of his moods he absolutely insists that he stays on my shoulder but spends the whole time attacking my ear. I believe that becoming hormonal is typically associated with males and they're known for having terrible teens around the time of their first moult (6-8 months).

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Well i have both male and female. I find hugs to be more clingy then slush. Slush could really care less. She just wants to go go go. She was always that way even as a baby we noticed it. Hugs will come running to you for sctritchs. I find they both are goofy. Its really fun to watch them take a misting bath

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
With mine, my male is very clingy and always has to be on mommy he will stay with others but always makes his way back to me he is very sweet and cuddly always wants head scritches he is definetly more needy then my female, like Bea's Bailee he has his random temper tantrums which I can't say is hormonal because he is still young but every so often he just starts biting me like crazy...lol really there is no reason for it that I can tell he just seems to go off a little bit it doesn't hurt yet but like I said he is still very young.
Georgie my female is also sweet but she is more to herself she would prefer to stay in her cage or near it we make her come out and she bluff bites will doing it then she is fine she does like the head scritches and will sit with people on her terms she is definetly not as clingy as my male, she just prefers to do her own thing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im told I have 2 females one of them is exactly like Bailee ,she never leaves my shoulder (or my ear alone ) .While the other one could care less where she is as long as shes out of the cage :).Mine are both very quiet and will only chirp every now and then

1 - 7 of 7 Posts