Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My male tiel lets out continuous short squeals/screams "like a horse's neigh" - "eh eh eh", - each with a small gap. Is this a mating sound? I have this doubt as it's only the male which does it, the female is quiet.

If not, how can we stop it? even covering the cage doesnt stop it. this goes on for the entire first-half of day till around noon, and he's super-aggressive at hands during this time.
And wants to get out of the cage all the time. Is it because of his nesting instincts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I haven't heard that specific sound before, but I would guess it is probably hormonal on the basis of his behavior. I see that you have a nest box in the cage. Are you trying to breed them?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, They've been mating for over a year, and since they were showing nesting instincts during their playtime out of the cage, we added a nesting box, two months ago. We felt the nesting box would be a distraction and keep the male busy, but still these squeals go on till noon & sometimes is a bit too much.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think I'd recommend taking it out and trying some hormone reduction techniques. If your female isn't ready to breed for whatever reason (which seems to be the case since she hasn't laid eggs, correct?) then the box may just be frustrating the male.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, enigma. This behavior was even before putting up the nesting box. We felt the squeals were a cry for nesting but no improvement & the box has been shredded inside out. Maybe, we were wrong and you're right.

What kinda hormonal reduction techniques can we use?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts