Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male is the only bird we have, he has a toy mirror with beads on it. We believe he thinks the beads are eggs because of his behavior and he won't leave his sleeping cage. He won't even poop in the sleeping cage because of this toy. My question is, should I get him dummy eggs? He doesn't act hormonal, in fact he is a lot less aggressive unless he's inside his sleep cage with the beaded toy. The cage is kept open, he is free all day long and never locked in a cage except at night to sleep. Now he won't leave his sleep cage. I just started leaving the beaded toy in there with him at night and he makes cute noises and sings to the beads. His had this toy for over a year but is just now acting different with it. Would dummy eggs be ok for a male that has no mate?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My male is the only bird we have, he has a toy mirror with beads on it. We believe he thinks the beads are eggs because of his behavior and he won't leave his sleeping cage. He won't even poop in the sleeping cage because of this toy. My question is, should I get him dummy eggs? He doesn't act hormonal, in fact he is a lot less aggressive unless he's inside his sleep cage with the beaded toy. The cage is kept open, he is free all day long and never locked in a cage except at night to sleep. Now he won't leave his sleep cage. I just started leaving the beaded toy in there with him at night and he makes cute noises and sings to the beads. His had this toy for over a year but is just now acting different with it. Would dummy eggs be ok for a male that has no mate?
I would think about taking the toy away. Even though he loves it, he is considering it his mate. Over time this could cause him a lot of stress. It is sweet and precious to watch them. But, he might stop eating as much and lose weight because of being completely focused on his beloved. Perhaps becoming an obsession. End up not get enough exercise and playtime with you.
I do want to ask are you 100% sure he is a male? I had a male handfed lutino, who the breeder guaranteed was a male. We got him when he was weaned... Six years later "he" laid an egg on my shoulder! Was I surprised!
This activity makes me wonder...
Hopefully others will see your question and add their thoughts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think about taking the toy away. Even though he loves it, he is considering it his mate. Over time this could cause him a lot of stress. It is sweet and precious to watch them. But, he might stop eating as much and lose weight because of being completely focused on his beloved. Perhaps becoming an obsession. End up not get enough exercise and playtime with you.
I do want to ask are you 100% sure he is a male? I had a male handfed lutino, who the breeder guaranteed was a male. We got him when he was weaned... Six years later "he" laid an egg on my shoulder! Was I surprised!
This activity makes me wonder...
Hopefully others will see your question and add their thoughts!
Thank you for your advice! He's a little over a year old, sings and talk, say's phrases and has a yellow head, he's a grey so I think he has all the tell tale signs of being male. What about the dummy eggs? I put some in his cage today and he was sitting on them, he also sat on the mirrored toy with the beads. Every time we take it away he gets a little stressed. I thought swapping it with the dummy eggs will make it easier?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts