Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this bird is confusing me to no end. He is molting in unpearled feathers on his back but his new tail feather has yellow still on it. I though it was supposed to be solid grey?

He's 5m, sings, beak bangs, all that jazz. Then there is that tail feather that is still making me question his gender.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It might have yellow streaks or flecking for the first few molts. Miles is a year old and still has some yellow in his tail. He has very few pearls left, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The feather he molted out, the tail feather, had no black/grey on it at all. It was just yellow with the black vein. So it's a drastic difference. I just wanted to make sure. My other cockatiel, his sibling, hasn't molted any feathers yet to indicate gender yet.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It took about a year for Coco to grow in a dark grey tail. The undersides have quite a bit of yellow on them still. When I got him (at 9 weeks old) his tail looked just like your 'tiels.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Pearl males that are split to pied tend to keep those pearl traits longer. Fuzzy kept those tail feathers and a light pearling for over two years before he even started to look more like a normal grey. Definitely not uncommon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts