Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we recently bought this grey cockatiel he/she is around 3 and a half months old but we have googled about the white face and it says this could be male or female at first we thought it was a female until we read about thw white face now we have no clue can anyone please help?
Bird Vertebrate Grey Style Feather
Bird Accipitridae Beak Owl Grey

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ooh- this is a hard one. I've only got a Cinnamon and a Lutino, but it looks like a male due to the white head, but I might be wrong because it's only about 3 months old. I know my friends have told me that you can get blood tests for your birds somewhere to tell what gender your bird is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply **** i bought it wanting a female for my male to have a little girl friend haha we got told it was a pearl pied cockatiel

And great i will google about rhw blood tests and yes he/she is still young i dont know much about them yet still learning so any advice is good advice to me thanks 👍

·
Registered
158 Posts
That is a very pretty cockatiel!!! He/she is a whiteface pearl, and the females will always keep their pearl markings while the males will most usually lose them after their first molt. Since he/she hasn't reached his/her first molt yet, it is too early to tell. Do you know the mutations of the parents? That could help determine whether he/she is male or female. Otherwise, there are many ways to find out whether he/she is male or female. The best way is to DNA him/her, and it only takes about 1 to 2 weeks before the results come in. You could try wing spot sexing him/her, too. It worked for my three month old male cockatiel. I will include the screenshots of them. If you don't or can't do any of those, you could always wait until after his/her first molt, which usually starts at about 6 months old. If all the pearl markings are molting out, then you definitely have a male but if the pearl markings stay after his/her molt, then you have a female. The only thing about waiting until he/she molts is that you won't know right away what you have, unfortunately.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your reply the pictures are very helpful and i will try this

If i cant determin the sex with this i will just have to be patient and wait for first molt lol

Either way he or she is lovely just want to know out of curiosity more than anything

So we actually managed to look fairly easily and it has spots on the wings all the way down so could be female which is good because we named her luna 🤣

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi we recently bought this grey cockatiel he/she is around 3 and a half months old but we have googled about the white face and it says this could be male or female at first we thought it was a female until we read about thw white face now we have no clue can anyone please help? View attachment 94116 View attachment 94117
It could be male from the face but the prints are more like a female you should wait for a bit longer till the face colour becomes more permanent ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts