Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Male or female ?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jcmueller 
#1 ·
When I bought my cockatiel (Hima) she definitely looked like a female. Dark head, tail with yellow stripes and dots under her wings.

After like 5 months i realized she changed from 100% female to 80% male. Is it even possible? She has now yellow mask, no dots under wings but the stripes on her tail remains. She sings a lot so thats kinda boyish sighn i guess.
Can you guys help please? Is she even she or is she male?
Wood Beak Feather Window Fawn

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like he got through a molt, all tiels look like females when they are young (thats the why people tend not to try to guess the gerder of baby tiels by the looks of it) when they are a little bit old (i heard it usually happens from 6 to 12 months) they go through a molt in wich they will have their adult looks, a good example of this is pearl cocktiels, when young all pearls show this mutation, however, after the molt, adult males will look like regular pieds

#5 ·
When I bought my cockatiel (Hima) she definitely looked like a female. Dark head, tail with yellow stripes and dots under her wings.

After like 5 months i realized she changed from 100% female to 80% male. Is it even possible? She has now yellow mask, no dots under wings but the stripes on her tail remains. She sings a lot so thats kinda boyish sighn i guess.
Can you guys help please? Is she even she or is she male?
View attachment 93070 View attachment 93071 View attachment 93072 View attachment 93073
The cheeks and head look kind of dull, which is a sign of a female.

Can he/she speak? Its almost ALWAYS the males who talk. (Of course, the females still chirp, just not as much, and not as loudly.)
At the bottom of his/her tail feathers, there are some spots, which are also signs of a female.

Your bird looks like a female, but I can't be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.