Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Flash is now 8 months old, has gone through first moult and has barred tail feathers and greyish face. Looks very much like a female BUT, he chirps and sings and displays male behaviour. From what I have read.

1. They should be visibly male or female after first moult.
2. They should be visibly male or female by 3rd moult or 12 months of age.

It's driving us nuts, he is male or is she female.

He is just a normal little grey cockatiel. Up to now we have all referred to Flash as male, but I am really starting to wonder.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I know what it's like to have a bird that displays the characteristics of one gender but visually looks like the other, it's very frustrating! I would get a DNA test to find out for sure. I see you live in Queensland (I am in NSW), and I highly recommend DNA Solutions. I am not affiliated with them but do I use them for all of my avian DNA testing and I am very happy with their services.

They are quite inexpensive ($17.90 for one bird) and all you have to do is take a couple of wing feathers (I usually take four flights, one primary and one secondary from both sides to ensure adequate samples for testing), pop them into a small paper envelope (ensures the samples don't dry out in the post) and label it with the bird's name, then pop the sample envelope into a larger envelope with the completed request form and mail it off. Results are usually in within a week.

Edit: Oops, I forgot the link. http://dnasolutions.com.au/product-category/dna-tests/
Click the "Animal DNA Testing" drop down menu and it will give you the information :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sometimes splits like pied can affect molting. I had a male pearl split pied that didn't molt out his barred tail feathers until he was well past two years old. He also kept some of his pearls for that long as well. DNA test is the one sure way to know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts