Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning everyone.

I got Bumble in August from a local pet store. Handrearerd, silly tame, I know nothing about the parentage.

She's my first ever cockatiel.

We assume Bumble is female, small tiel, however quite vocal. When I purchased her in August, the pet store thought she was about 16 weeks old then.

Is it usual for a female tiel to be so vocal, I'm wondering if there is chance that Bumble is a little male?

I attach a video of some of the noises Bumble makes. Also has started to respond when I whistle. Link to video below.

Bumble

Will also do tasks.. please see HERE

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
reminds me a lot of my cousins cockatiel which they thought was a female, later turned out to be male. Their cockatiel is just as vocal and sings like yours compared to my female cockatiel. There is a chance yours is male but im not expert.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
reminds me a lot of my cousins cockatiel which they thought was a female, later turned out to be male. Their cockatiel is just as vocal and sings like yours compared to my female cockatiel. There is a chance yours is male but im not expert.
Thank you so much for your response. She shows no other male traits apart from the noise, however she's still very young and no hormones yet. I will DNA when I get chance but was just wanting an opinion compared with other female tiels. Has formed a strong bond with me, happily goes to my husband too, however comes to me for snuggles and scritches.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Males tend to be more vocal, they do heart wings, whistle and learn songs, brighter colors. Females tend to be quieter, don't really learn many songs, not as bright of colors, more grays, more cuddly and or shy, hiss more than males. Hard to tell without comparing. With all of these things you may not know for sure. They are old enough to look for signs to tell the gender. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
They may scream, but if they chirp and whistle, that indicates a male
Bumble may be a female if s/he is screaming but no whistlisting & chirping:)
I got what what they said was a male from Parrot Outreach over 1 year ago. All it does is screech, no whistle, no song. No egg laying either. Very friendly, screechs for me when I leave the room and will fly out of cage for me. I sing to it and whistle tunes but nothing. At least she is friendly. Got her post and rings and a grocery cart. First she has to learn to land properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Morning everyone.

I got Bumble in August from a local pet store. Handrearerd, silly tame, I know nothing about the parentage.

She's my first ever cockatiel.

We assume Bumble is female, small tiel, however quite vocal. When I purchased her in August, the pet store thought she was about 16 weeks old then.

Is it usual for a female tiel to be so vocal, I'm wondering if there is chance that Bumble is a little male?

I attach a video of some of the noises Bumble makes. Also has started to respond when I whistle. Link to video below.

Bumble

Will also do tasks.. please see HERE

Thank you everyone.
So cute 🥰
Normally you can properly tell once they’re adult at 6 month. Mine is 12 weeks and has the same colors and slightly vocal too (the breeder told me he was a female) but I have my doubts. Only time will tell 😃

1 - 9 of 9 Posts