Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mesh Pet supply Plant Fence Wire fencing
Hi, this is Bob, got him yesterday, he’s awesome, friendly, vocal, curious. He’s really a lot of fun. It’s like we’ve been together for awhile. Anyway, he just squatted in one of his seed cups and kept pushing his body down and turning around. He looked like he was going to lay an egg. Anyone know what he might be up to?

· Registered
15 Posts
Are you 100% sure he’s male and not female?Sometimes misgendering could happen!If he is 100% male he could have maybe fell in the cup and struggled to get out?(that happened to my cockatiel Mickey expect she is female) If not it could just be hormonal behavior!Even if he does not have a mate he could be trying to nest.Maybe try putting a smaller bowl he can’t sit on.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you 100% sure he’s male and not female?Sometimes misgendering could happen!If he is 100% male he could have maybe fell in the cup and struggled to get out?(that happened to my cockatiel Mickey expect she is female) If not it could just be hormonal behavior!Even if he does not have a mate he could be trying to nest.Maybe try putting a smaller bowl he can’t sit on.
I think it’s hormonal, he’s 8 months old. Maybe he was rubbing his vent against the side, but it looked like he was trying to hollow out a space in the seed with his body. The seed is in one of those cups that come with the cage, the one you put through the little opening in the front with the gate that moves up and down. Here’s a picture of the cu
Wood Pet supply Fence Grille Cooking

· Registered
15 Posts
I think it’s hormonal, he’s 8 months old. Maybe he was rubbing his vent against the side, but it looked like he was trying to hollow out a space in the seed with his body. The seed is in one of those cups that come with the cage, the one you put through the little opening in the front with the gate that moves up and down. Here’s a picture of the cu View attachment 96261
Birds start getting hormonal at that age so that’s what most likely is happening right there.All birds go through it at some point in their lives, if he is going through it try to give him some space and let him to his thing it’s completely natural .Maybe he started having this hormonal behavior because he had nesting material in site?Maybe try doing some research about hormonal behavior and how to stop it.That could help see what could have happened to him or how to help him. This link could maybe help you understand a little better!Curbing Hormonal Behavior In Parrots
Good luck!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it’s hormonal, he’s 8 months old. Maybe he was rubbing his vent against the side, but it looked like he was trying to hollow out a space in the seed with his body. The seed is in one of those cups that come with the cage, the one you put through the little opening in the front with the gate that moves up and down.
Vertebrate Mesh Mammal Pet supply Wire fencing
here’s a picture of Bob!

· Registered
15 Posts
I think it’s hormonal, he’s 8 months old. Maybe he was rubbing his vent against the side, but it looked like he was trying to hollow out a space in the seed with his body. The seed is in one of those cups that come with the cage, the one you put through the little opening in the front with the gate that moves up and down. View attachment 96262 here’s a picture of Bob!
He’s super cute!Great cage size too!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi!!!
My cockatiel Popcorn looks like yours, but mine is a cinnamon pied. I got him 15 years ago with his "brother cage buddy", a white-face grey Peanuts. Then they wouldn't leave their girlfriend Rocket behind, so I had to buy all 3 of them at once. You see... Popcorn was in love with Peanuts, but Peanuts and Rocket became a pair and Popcorn becoming the 3rd wheel (unrequited love😉). So, I have had soap opera pleasure viewing this trio from babyhood to adulthood and all their mating/nesting behaviors. Since they were cage babies together at the breeders, they were attached to each other and got along famously until breeding season.

As to your question, both males and females tails will be "barred" until they go through their first molts. With their first molt, male tiels will lose the yellow or white bars on their tail feathers and the spots on the underside of their wing feathers. Females retain the bars and spots their entire lives. If your bird's tail is too light to distinguish whether the bars remain or not, your vet can tell for sure.

When Popcorn became the same age as your little man and had no female, he would attempt to mount Peanuts until Peanuts ran him off. Peanuts had Rocket, so Popcorn found other ways. He sought out any surface available to squat on and rub his tail like the pendulum of a grandfather clock he accomplied satisfying his "task". Then, he'd go about his regular business.

When cockatiels want to poop, they squat down and wiggle their butts a little bit and are up and running around a second later. Initially, it looks the same as preparation to mate.. However... you can definitely tell the difference between a mating movement and a pooping wiggle. Birds do poop in their food and water. They especially like to poop when they are perched. That's just Mother Nature. A mating movement is definitely the pendulum movement and it lasts strongly until completion.

Popcorn stopped after awhile... a few years. He didn't want Rocket. He was totally in love with Peanuts, but Peanuts was a married man... so that was futile. As long as Peanuts was alive, they stayed very close. Sadly, Peanuts died 2 years ago of a brain disease. Popcorn and Rocket still get along fine, but they're just buddies. Popcorn has untreatable cancer, diagnosed a year ago. He gets pain meds daily. I don't know how long he'll be with me. Rocket is going strong.

Have fun with your buddy. He's very smart and has the understanding of a 3 year old. Needs lots of handling and love.

Good luck.

· Registered
2 Posts
Oh... by the way... I don't believe in curbing mating behavior. It's not as if he's doing anything wrong. Just redirect his attention to another activity. He will not understand being punished for being a bird.
Mizzmo22.

· Registered
23 Posts
View attachment 96259 Hi, this is Bob, got him yesterday, he’s awesome, friendly, vocal, curious. He’s really a lot of fun. It’s like we’ve been together for awhile. Anyway, he just squatted in one of his seed cups and kept pushing his body down and turning around. He looked like he was going to lay an egg. Anyone know what he might be up to?
Hello.he might be Masturbating on his seed cup lol. Hahaaaaa my lovebird does to his toy. He might need a mate. But keep watching him if he's singing and whistling that's a male females doesn't do to much In vocal wise as mine don't at all I got many females they don't. Good Luck 👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts