Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my male cockatiel for about 3 years now. I got him from my young cousins who could not have him anymore. He is most likely around 4 years old.
Lately he has been VERY protective over my closet. He will attack me if I get near it and bites so hard i can lift him into the air while he is attached to whatever he is chomped down on. He draws blood, he screams, he charges at whoever is in the area.
Ive been putting him back in his cage whenever he does this but he will scream until he is let back out. At this point if I see him making his way over to it I can say him name and he will full sprint back to where his perch is and slam his beak into the mirror by it.
He isnt always so aggressive, every day is different. Sometimes he doesnt go in the closet at all and sometimes no matter how many times I put him in the cage or call his name he goes straight back to it.
Because I dont have an actual closet built into the wall I use one from target where its like shelves/ garment racks so I dont have a door I can close or an easy way to block it off.

What can I do to stop this behavior? I am sure he thinks of the closet as a nesting area and it must be hormonal but because of how aggressive he is im not sure what to do. Im scared to even go near him because of how many times he has drawn blood. Something has to change.

side note he gets at least 12 hours of sleep in his cage covered

Any suggestions would be so amazing! This breaks my heart

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
I think you are right. this behaviour sounds hormonal. Is there a female cockatiel with you? That sure sounds like he's trying to protect a nesting site! I do know what your going thru as I have a male (normal grey) that's just had his third clutch of babies and he is VERY over protective. Either two things here: just give it more time and see how it plays out OR.....you might make a vet appointment to see if there are any underlying conditions that would cause these actions. If he's getting 12 hours sleep, that's not your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you are right. this behaviour sounds hormonal. Is there a female cockatiel with you? That sure sounds like he's trying to protect a nesting site! I do know what your going thru as I have a male (normal grey) that's just had his third clutch of babies and he is VERY over protective. Either two things here: just give it more time and see how it plays out OR.....you might make a vet appointment to see if there are any underlying conditions that would cause these actions. If he's getting 12 hours sleep, that's not your problem.
Yes it sounds hormonal. Maybe throw a sheet over your shelves until he’s less hormonal? My bird will get super possessive if I go near the mirrors on top of his cage. And he will bite hard when he is usually so sweet. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.