Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of grey cockatiels which were given to me in 2000 (I'm really unsure of the ages...I'd estimate 10 or 11 by now, in good health.) The male has normally been a quiet bird, he and his "wife" have always been very attached. The male started out territorial and ornery, and just within the last two years has he let me or my husband handle him without copping an attitude. When he's out, he'll generally chatter and sing his little repetoire, nothing out of the norm. ...Now for some reason LATELY, he's started this piercing whistle at the top of his lungs that goes on persistently for several minutes. It's truly obnoxious. He'll even start up at 10 pm, uncovered or covered, if we're awake. I've never had cockatiels this long, so these 2 are the oldest. I'm wondering if he's just reached a point in his life where he wants to express some deep-felt joy....or is he a little senile and weird?! ...anyone had this?

Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...the cage is where it always has been. There's nothing that is startling him... he just starts up suddenly. Its a cheerful whistle, but competely obnoxious. Like I said, I wonder if its because he's just old. Has anyone else had this problem with their tiels?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I'm really not sure about this one.

All I can think of is.. he's just happy, or, he's going through some sort of phrase. At night, have you tried putting them in a room, covering the cage and turning the light off so they're in complete darkness?

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
He'll even start up at 10 pm, uncovered or covered, if we're awake.
Maybe he's letting you know that you're keeping him up! If this only happens when the humans are awake then he's obviously aware of the activity in the house and wants to join in the fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies, I guess he is just wanting to join in on the fun...his whistling is definitely not distressed, so I shouldnt guilt him too much for being a happy bird! Hopefully it is just phase. Thanks you all for your helpful comments!

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts