Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a pair of Cockatiels and they have never breed (I got them a few months back). Recently, I have seen that the male is not responding to female's mating call, it looks like he doesn't know what to do or how to mate, he simply open his wings a little bit and starts singing until the female has stopped the mating call. The female cockatiel has been going and staying inside the nestbox for a long time but has not layed any eggs yet. How do I teach him to mate?

Note: They are not 100% tamed yet.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Unfortunately you can't teach him how to mate. If he can't figure it out on his own then it isn't going to happen. Unfortunately there are some males who never figure it out. Like Vlad.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Do you know how old your pair are and if they are old enough to breed? The minimum breeding age is around 18 months. Generally the younger they are the less likely they are going to be successful especially if it's their first time. They will need a lot of time to bond and figure out what to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Do you know how old your pair are and if they are old enough to breed? The minimum breeding age is around 18 months. Generally the younger they are the less likely they are going to be successful especially if it's their first time. They will need a lot of time to bond and figure out what to do.
I don't exactly know how old they are, but they are not 18, at least the male is not 18 yet. And yes, it is their first time.

The male tried climbing on top of her but they fell.. do I need to setup a breeding place too or let them figure it out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, I don't want to start another thread so I am just going to ask my question here.

Why does my female cockatiel scream when the male looks at her? She screams like she is afraid of him and yes he does bite him on the head then. Oh, and he attacks her often and try to remain dominant in the cage by attacking her if he wants her to move from a specific place.

Edit: She is getting weak too but she eats healthy. I tried putting her in another cage (and she was fine there, the cage was put next to the main cage where male cockatiel was) but the male cockatiel was very sad.. I think? He refused to eat and would sit at the same place all day long and tried to get into female's cage. The female was fine in separate cage though.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
If he attacks her then it's best to keep them separate, whether it makes him sad or not. She may have been getting weak because he wasn't letting her get enough food. If they're sitting side by side then they're still getting companionship from each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.