Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I need your help / thoughts / advice as soon as possible.

We live in London and we had 2 grown up cockatiels and 3 chicks (5/7/8 days each) up until yesterday. Our mail cockatiel was the one who spent loads of time with chicks - feeding them and sitting with them all the time. Yesterday he passed away by accident.

The female cockatiel (1.5 years old) spent a lot of time out of cage and didn't spend much time with chicks (only during the night). Since yesterday's evening (around 5-6pm) she got left alone with chicks and she pretty much didn't leave the nest and almost didn't eat. At the same time we can hear that she is trying to feed the chicks but when we examine their crops those are pretty much empty. When we tried to get the chicks out to feed, our female cockatiel was very defensive and didn't want them out.

Now we have only breast milk substance (Aptamil - lactose free) and our commercial tropical formula is arriving tomorrow. We have done the first feeding but we don't know exactly how enough that was.

I am afraid that our female cockatiel can exhaust herself and die without food and we are not sure how to make her eat something. I am not sure either how to get the chicks out of the nest without causing too much stress for her which might be causing the problem as well. Shall we separate our female cockatiel and chicks? What is the best way to keep them warm if that is the case.

Any thoughts welcome as we feel lost and need some advice from you.

Best,
Alesia and Ruslan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is this first clutch of the pair?
Can you take the hen out of nest, to see if she wants to eat? Did you offer soft foods?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this first clutch of the pair?
Can you take the hen out of nest, to see if she wants to eat? Did you offer soft foods?
That is the first clutch for the female but i am not sure on our poor guy as was not sure what his exact age was. Now she actually started to eat some solid food seed mix and millet but she refuses any kind of soft food because she doesn't like it in general. She feeds the chicks from time to time but doesn't spend the day time with them despite the fact they keep screaming all day long (so we have to step in once we see that their crop is empty). But the thing we are not sure about now is the temperature for them as i think we need to keep them warm all the time. We trying to keep it warm within the room and luckily the weather is good for that, so we keep +30C for now inside the room.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you have formula already, just feed babies on schedule. You can ignore female's feeding. If babies don't beg, parents usually don't feed them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts