Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still new to cocktiels. My male does not seem interested in the nest with 5 eggs at all. Female will let him in but he does not share the responsibilities in sitting. I am worried that she will have to do everything if and when they hatch. Still have some days to go, I believe. 1st egg was laid 13 days ago, Feb. 5
Thank you
Monica Herring

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Have you seen him sit at night? Most tiels take turns and don't sit together (although I had one male that did like to sit all the time, even with his hen.) Usually the hen will sit half the day and the male will sit the other half (i.e. one sits days the other nights.) If it's warm enough there the male may not need to sit. How old is he? If this is his first clutch he may not know what to do yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi roxy, Ronin is not quite 2 yrs. This is the second clutch they have had. 1st one was just abandoned 3wks into setting. He never sat on that one either. As far as night setting they have always roosted seperate and she still sets at night. My two have never been extremly affectionate towards each other, but they don't fight

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sounds like you have a bondage pair, not a bonded one. This is not good for breeding and I don't recommend breeding these two again. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=36810 this sticky explains the difference in more detail. It doesn't seem like they are a good match together and you would be better off not letting them breed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I second Roxy. I adopted a bondage pair and while they both took turns sitting on the eggs the closer it got to hatch time the more aggressive the male became. He cracked 2 eggs fighting with mom in the nest box and became so aggressive with her once the eggs hatched that he had to be removed and she nearly abandoned the babies. Took over an hour to get her back in the box and now she is having to raise the chicks alone and it is a LOT of work for one parent and a lot of work for me making sure the smaller ones are not being pushed aside by the older chicks. I'm getting less sleep now than I did with my own newborns. My male is in a separate cage still going crazy cause he wants in that box and he got his head stuck in the cage bars trying to break in. I thought we were going to have to cut the bars. It's been an overall nightmare and I'm just praying for the next couple weeks to pass and the babies to be ok. Don't breed bondage birds!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts