Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've saved up some of Shiraarat's tail and wing feathers in a little blue box, and a little kitten was recently adopted by one of my friends. It's switched homes around 3 households, and has a forever home awaiting him in case his current home doesn't work out. (Current owner has asthma). The issue is that all his owners used/use their hands to play with him, which results in encouraging biting. I wanted to somehow discourage it to prevent future problems without seeming rude.

So I'm heading over to meet him today, and had the idea of making him a kitty toy out of Shiraarat's old feathers so that it could be used instead of hands. Just want to make sure there's no possibility of diseases being transferred or anything, and if anyone has any ideas on how to make it, please do share. I have five feathers available for use, two of which don't have the follicle attached. Currently my plan is to attach them to a stick using some yarn.
(also if anyone has tips to discourage biting or scratching, that would be great.)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would never give a cat a toy made out if feathers, especially harvested ones. Not only is it unsanitary, it encourages them to catch birds, not that that's a problem in itself but it sure confuses a cat especially if you have pet birds in the house.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's an indoor kitty and there are not birds involved at all. Transferring germs and diseases is what I'm worried about. Is that what you mean by unsanitary?
(Sorry if I sound rude. I can't think of another way to phrase it.)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
No. Feathers used in hats, toys, crafts, whatever, for sale or gift, by law have to be sterilized to prevent distribution of zoonotic diseases. When you are making them for yourself or a friend you may not know to sanitize feathers, but it's still the law in many states. You never know when you are doing something illegal, I was told once the average person breaks 10 laws a day just living their life. You never know when you'll be called on one you do break.

What I mean by unsanitary, is without proper sterilization you can never be sure if you are transmitting diseases to the cat, it's a good idea to just throw away old feathers and buy any you may want to craft with for liability's sake at least. I'm not saying your bird has a disease, but in this day and age you can never be careful enough when it comes to disease distribution.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thank you! I won't be throwing out the feathers, but I won't be using them for any cat toys either.
I was planning on dropping by the art supply store anyways, I'll just pick up a peacock feather while I'm there :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts