Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the first time I was able to hold my guy. Now he is in his cage, several hours later and doing his mad little squawk. I get so worried when he makes this noise, is it normal for birds to squawk or screech supper softly but stop when i look at him?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
What do you mean exactly by squawking? Is it a loud noise or soft chirps? It's normal for them to make all sorts of noises, especially males. Can you whistle? Try whistling back to him when he does this. If he is a vocal guy you may be able to teach him a wolf whistle or even some tunes. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its like an eeee sort of noise and no I can't whistle. My husband can and it doesn't help. He can already wolfe whistle. My niece tried to teach him a song and he almost has it. This is a noise he makes when we push a little to much to hand train him or is mad at his cysts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I dont know exactly... but my baby teil ( 4 weeks old ) does the *screeching and streaching its head out* when he is hungry or needs to come out of the box ( he is in a box for now )....and i think ur teil screams fir the same reason too....it depends on the age....if urs is a bit older like it can fly and eat on its own....i guess it screams to get ur attention.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Do you think perhaps it's a response to his painful injury? In regards to making the noise when you are trying to hand tame him, he is probably telling you he's had enough or is getting agitated. If he won't stop and you think he's getting too stressed out try half-covering his cage with a dark blanket - this usually works on calming them down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think perhaps it's a response to his painful injury? In regards to making the noise when you are trying to hand tame him, he is probably telling you he's had enough or is getting agitated. If he won't stop and you think he's getting too stressed out try half-covering his cage with a dark blanket - this usually works on calming them down.
I was kinda wondering if it was due to his wings and cysts. Since you have read my other posts and know which I am referring to. I think ill call his vet.
Ok ill try to go slower. He let me pet his chest last night.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I think that's highly possible, if he's in a lot of pain he will get vocal about it. If the current vet you are seeing isn't willing to address his cysts, I would contact another vet, preferably an avian vet or one that has had experience with birds. You might have to ring around a bit depending on where you are located but I think the cysts need to be dealt with because if left alone they may worsen and if there is still an infection there it won't end well. I know putting birds under anesthetic is very risky but if you find the right vet it can be done, two of my own 'tiels have gone under anesthetic (while they were in a bad way too), without any problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that's highly possible, if he's in a lot of pain he will get vocal about it. If the current vet you are seeing isn't willing to address his cysts, I would contact another vet, preferably an avian vet or one that has had experience with birds. You might have to ring around a bit depending on where you are located but I think the cysts need to be dealt with because if left alone they may worsen and if there is still an infection there it won't end well. I know putting birds under anesthetic is very risky but if you find the right vet it can be done, two of my own 'tiels have gone under anesthetic (while they were in a bad way too), without any problems.
I am seeing the best avian vet in town. I can call and ask again, I've looked under his wings and the cysts look fine right now, so it may not even be that. I'm starting to wonder ill have to do some experimenting with covering his cage. I've started to notice he makes noises

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know exactly... but my baby teil ( 4 weeks old ) does the *screeching and streaching its head out* when he is hungry or needs to come out of the box ( he is in a box for now )....and i think ur teil screams fir the same reason too....it depends on the age....if urs is a bit older like it can fly and eat on its own....i guess it screams to get ur attention.
He is 1 or 2 years old. Just now he was making soft screeches and chirps until I covered him (about 9:15) and he stopped. I think we are just still learning his sounds maybe?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
If the noises he's making don't deafen you then I think perhaps that's just the chatter he makes when he's content. You will definitely know if he's screeching due to something wrong like being in pain or stressed (very loud!).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the noises he's making don't deafen you then I think perhaps that's just the chatter he makes when he's content. You will definitely know if he's screeching due to something wrong like being in pain or stressed (very loud!).
No these sounds are soft. He has a loud screech he uses for when he wants our attention tho

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I can definitely understand your concern! I worry about my babies in the exact same way.

Is it possible for you to record a video of your 'tiel making those noises you are concerned about?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Are the blood feathers from his wings? If they are, it's possible that it's related to his injuries and cysts. You will definitely know if he is plucking (they make a loud shriek of pain as they pull out the feather).

He looks active and happy. Are you able to get some pictures of his damaged wings and cysts? Just wondering exactly how bad they are. If not, that's okay.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.