Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the past occasionally someone would post about their lutino having other color eyes aside from the normal pink/red. I have been saving pix's and just completed a collage showing all the variations of a lutino eye, and made notes on what could contribute to this. Click on the pix for a larger view.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roo is a visual lutino pearl, but she has blue eyes. Does that mean she is also split to pied? Great collage!
--------------------------------------------------

Yes....check all her tail feathers and flight feathers to see if she has any clear feathers. Clear means solid yellow with no dots or barring. If so then she would be a lutino pearl pied. If no clear feathers then she must be a split to pied. I've found that if the lutino does not have the pied and/or WF split then their eyes remain a normal lutino color, which darkens as they mature.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Excellent Collage Susanne:D Those green and blue eyes are gorgeous! I am so envious of your photography skills!

I was wondering if Aeros eyes would be considered normal? Its hard to tell, I never even thought about her eye colour until I got her out in the sun today....I hope you dont mind me adding her pics and asking here? I didnt want to create a new thread if I didnt have too. sorry they are not the greatest pics either....

Attachments

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If she was also split to pied her eyes may have been an amber color. Over the years some of my cinnamon lutinos would have the amber eyes.

Since she is a cinnamon lutino she is showing partially suppressed melanin, which is giving her eye a slight brown look to the pupil from the melanin pigments. This melanin is blocking the light from reflecting off the inside of the eye, which is why/how the lutino eyes appear red.

I updated the eye collage to include Cinnamon Lutino for the amber and/or greenish eyes.

Can I save her pix's of the eye for reference? Her eyes are interesting because if more altered melanin was showing they'd be brown like a clear pied, though she is definitely a lutino.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks.....I have been sitting here thinking on WHY it is only the lutino mutation that is capable of having various color eyes after they mature?

I also work with mousebirds and within each species there are subspecies, and each sub-species has specific coloration variances from the species color. ALL mousebird species with the exception of the Speckled have brown eyes (black pupil, brown iris)....whereas the Speckled have a wide range of colors ranging from yellow, two toned, red, green and pale blue. Alot of this has to do with how close to the equator that affects the eye and plumage color. This page goes into detasil the variance of the Speckled and sub-species details: http://www.mousebirds.com/speckled.html

Below is a subspecies of Speckled that (in my dreams...LOL) I would like to go to Africa to see. I have been working on a comprehensive book on mousebirds and gathering pix's, with permission, for the last 2 years to show the variance in eye colors. Next is to chart the locations of the specific eyes, such as distance from the equator. Which made me think of cockatiel mutations that have been established closest to the equator (lutino, fallow, and DYC) and if there may be some latent recessive genes that with the mutation combinations might also affect eye color. So far I have learned that with lutino it is the pied and WF, and/or cinnamon. With splits to fallow the eyes are a paler brown upon maturity.

I would love to one day see blue eyes in pieds and other mutations. Dream on, right....LOL

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.