Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of emerald cockatiels, and they have a lutino baby in the nest, has anyone ever seen a lutino emerald? the male is a visual emerald pearl, and female is a pearl, how will the baby look?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am not good with genetics and colorings, but there are lots of people quite good at it right here on the forum. Hopefully they will be able to help you. Your birds sound beautiful- maybe you could post pictures?

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Dad must be split to lutino and this baby must be a girl.

I've never seen a lutino emerald bird, but it seems likely that she would have the emerald pattern in shades of yellow, which might be relatively easy to see if she has a lot of contrast in her yellow tones. There's an interaction between the distribution of melanin pigment and psittacofulvin (yellow) pigment which is explained here: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-coloration2.html#distributionaltering

Lutino doesn't eliminate melanin pigment (it just messes it up really badly) but emerald DOES have an effect on the distribution of melanin. So you might get different intensities of yellow in a lutino emerald, just like you do in a lutino pearl.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive been doing research trying to find an actual picture of a lutino olive but havent had any success finding one

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
There probably aren't very many of them. Emerald/olive is rare to begin with, and it's not desirable to mix it with mutations that would make it hard to see the coloring. Lutino will definitely make it harder to see the emerald! But the common mutations are so widespread that it can be hard to keep them out of the bloodlines for the rare mutations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts