Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!! I have a lutino cockatiel that I’m not 100% sure but I think is male named Bally. I wanted to have him DNA sexed when I took him to the vet the first time but the vet was wary on drawing blood from cockatiels. I will say one thing - his long flight feathers have slight barring which makes me think it’s maybe a female. I honestly don’t mind that much either way but it would be nice to know in case I decide to get another cockatiel some day. I’ve included some pictures in case anyone can tell the gender based on that. But my real reason for posting is that I’ve noticed when I get him out of his cage he’ll start making little squeaking noises and lift up his tail feathers - is this hormonal behavior? Also whenever he’s in his cage for an extended amount of time he starts pacing and whistling almost like he wants out. I just worry he’s bored, I try to keep different toys in there and whatnot to keep his attention but he just ends up pacing. Any ideas to keep him entertained?

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well first of all that isn't much of a vet if they don't know how to get a simple drop of blood for a DNA test! you can really do it yourself. All you need to do is clip a toenail short enough to draw a SMALL drop of blood for the test you can send off to get. It costs a whopping 14 bucks and you get results in about a week and a half. I'm like Luka, really need a underside view of the tail but since you say your bird is LIFTING it's tail and squeaking, that sounds like a female wanting to mate!

·
Registered
Normal grey split to pied
161 Posts
Well first of all that isn't much of a vet if they don't know how to get a simple drop of blood for a DNA test! you can really do it yourself. All you need to do is clip a toenail short enough to draw a SMALL drop of blood for the test you can send off to get. It costs a whopping 14 bucks and you get results in about a week and a half. I'm like Luka, really need a underside view of the tail but since you say your bird is LIFTING it's tail and squeaking, that sounds like a female wanting to mate!
honestly im traumatized from nail clipping and i think till i trim his nails again will be after A LONG time after he starts to scratch my arm and i cant handle it (thanks for the vet for traumatizing me from nail clipping by vet or me)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts