Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I noticed a lump underneath my bird, Chili's, right wing. I went to the vet today and was told that it is likely something called xanthoma, or a fatty lump of cholesterol, and would require surgery to remove.

He said this could be hereditary but could also be caused by a high fat diet. I didn't switch him over to pellets until last year and he's been eating a millet piece practically every day. So I think it's my fault and I feel like I've failed him.

Anyway, the surgery would be a wing tip surgery and the vet said it would affect his flight but didn't say how much. Chili has never had his wings clipped and I'm really worried this is going to be awful for him if he can't fly properly anymore.

I did a search on this forum and some googling, but if anyone has advise or experience with cockatiel surgery I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Edit: The surgery is going to be about $800. I'm floored by the cost. I'll do anything to keep him healthy, but is this normal?

I don't want to jump to surgery if it can be avoided but I also really don't want to wait and let things get worse.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I can't really offer any advice on surgery, but I agree the cost is beyond what I would think it should be. At any rate, here is an interesting article on xanthomas and what can be done non surgically.
http://www.beautyofbirds.com/xanthoma.html
Good Luck with Chili :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts