Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have the Prevue F040. The top of Lorenzo's cage is filled will all types of toys, ropes, perches, and bridges. He loves it. I just can't figure out what to do with the bottom half of the cage. All I have down there is a ladder and one of the wood perches that came with the cage.

What does everyone else have at the lower half of their cages?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Rio uses the bottom of his cage so he has a ladder and toy balls he has a wide cage though so all his cage gets used

·
Registered
35 Posts
Only rope perches set up to get back to the top. My guys can't fly yet and don't like to hang out at the bottom. But if they fall to the bottom they need steps to get back to the top. A ladder would work but I don't have one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I keep my guys' food on the cage floor so they have to use the whole cage. They then just have a ladder going up. They like their toys midway up and across the top, and they only get soiled down low.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I have a few quite large natural wood perches near the bottom of my 'tiels cage. Also some banksia branches, and a couple of food bowls. I've tried to make the most of the large space they have, and they seem to use the bottom half of the cage almost as much as the top, but of course they prefer being up as high as possible. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've put 2 dowel perches down their because their position helps my girls climb out the door of their cage. They climb down to the perch and then climb the 2cm between said perch and the open door. Without that help they take all day to come out... They're not great escape artists to say the least. The dowel perches just came with the cage so I put them down there since it's less frequented and the natural perches are up top where they eat/sleep/play, but they hang out on the dowel for no reason sometimes as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For my cockatiel Lucky, I use that edible oyster shell sand. Toy wise, he has a small bowl filled with beads and bells, he has a mirror (he chewed off the part that lets it hang), he has a couple of rattles hanging from his lower perch, and his favourite is a xmas tree ball. The ball has a short bit of string for him to pick it up with. He loves rolling it around and banging it on the floor :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow maybe it is normal that I don't have much in the lower half of the cage then! It just seems so odd that I'm not really using so much space!

For everyone that keeps food and water in the bottom half, doesn't it get really messy since the birds would be above it most of the time? I have my food and water right above the halfway mark of the cage. Never thought about putting it any lower.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I keep the center of my cage open with perches staggered in a aquare pattern rising upwards near the top and a rope perch along the back wall. Two ladders, one large one going floor to the lowest perch in the front right corner, and a smaller one going up from that height but on the other side of the cage. They have about fifteen varying toys hung about all near the top. Seed and fresh food is offered on the cage floor. Pellets from a dish hung on the bottom door - I use an f40, too. Water is near the top so it stays clean, as I use wood shavings on the bottom. My birds like to play in the bedding and gnaw it up, so it functions as additional enrichment other beddings do not and they spend more time down there with it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sammy doesn't have anything down low. It's all up top. He is in the Prevue F050. Pickles has some perches down low. He often goes to the bottom of the cage so he likes having perches there.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have a seed catcher in the bottom of the big cage and the birds seem to enjoy digging though it :) I toss in two toys and once in a while I'll catch Redshift or Mindwipe digging though the seed hulls for their dingle balls, LOL. I also have perches on the bottom of the cage. Seems that Red and Mind like hanging out on the lower perches either as a change of scenery or because they're getting up in age and they need the break from climbing the sides of the cage all the time :) .

·
Registered
325 Posts
Personally I keep food and water bottles at the top of their cage (yes both birds drink out of water bottles) I do have several natural perches down there along with some side attaching foraging toys. I keep all of Riley's favorite toys at the bottom. So he does have to use the entire cage. Carolina on the other hand is old so he mostly just eats and sleeps. Rarely will he play with a toy. I also keep food and water on opposite sides of the cage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally I keep food and water bottles at the top of their cage (yes both birds drink out of water bottles) I do have several natural perches down there along with some side attaching foraging toys. I keep all of Riley's favorite toys at the bottom. So he does have to use the entire cage. Carolina on the other hand is old so he mostly just eats and sleeps. Rarely will he play with a toy. I also keep food and water on opposite sides of the cage.
I keep my food and water near the top as well, and on opposite sides. I can't see how people can keep food and water at the bottom. Wouldn't it get messy?

Maybe tomorrow I'll reorganize the cage a little and put more at the bottom. I'm just worried the perches and toys will get so dirty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow maybe it is normal that I don't have much in the lower half of the cage then! It just seems so odd that I'm not really using so much space!

For everyone that keeps food and water in the bottom half, doesn't it get really messy since the birds would be above it most of the time? I have my food and water right above the halfway mark of the cage. Never thought about putting it any lower.
Haha I feel the same way, I've been wondering for a while what to do about the empty bottom half, but haven't really taken any steps! My guys never seem to go down unless they drop by accident, then climb their way back up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I tried putting the food and water further up in the cage when I got Elvis, but he made more of a mess then. He wants to eat from the bottom it seems, so he would toss out all his seeds and climb down to the bottom to eat anyway. With the bowls at the bottom he eats and drinks from the bowls instead of the floor. As long as there are no perches or toys above the bowls, it's not a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts