Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've got a few concerns. He just seems abnormal for a tiel, or for a bird in general. I know personalities differ buuuuut I figured I would ask anyway.
Concerns:
1.) Doesn't play. He really doesn't take interest in anything. But he does seems happy. He's often fluffed and preening, some chirping and singing to me. He rarely plays with any of his toys, and I have bought him a wide variety.
2.) He doesn't eat anything but seeds. I bought him nutriberries and he just picks them apart and eats the little seeds. He will on occasion eat Cheerios, but only a few here and there. I have tried veggies and eggs and meats but he won't touch anything that's slimy or wet. He won't touch anything else either.
3.) He does like to come out and sit with me on his little jungle gym, but a lot of the time he likes to sit in his cage in the dark. What the hay?
4.) He doesn't really whistle back to me. I heard that cockatiels like to imitate whistling, but he only ever does the wolf whistle, and he has stopped doing that. Most often he just screams when I leave the room and he wants my attention. Sometimes he does mating calls.

He doesn't seem depressed at all. I think he's just weird. I DID rescue him from a breeder who kept him in a dark bug infested basement. So I think he's just acting according to what he knows. What do you all think?

·
Registered
786 Posts
It sounds to me like he is doing exactly that- acting according to what he knows. I would keep encouraging him to do things- with Milo I bring out new food or a new toy while he is playing on my lap with some little toys. He seems to take to them easier that way.
Have you tried sprouting for him? Most birds will love them. They are like seeds but much much healthier. All of my birds have taken to them immediately. If you need it I can give you where I buy my sprouting seeds from and some info on sprouting.
Does he seem healthy? Has he seen a vet for this?
If all is well, have you thought of getting him a friend? Perhaps it would bring him out of his shell and learn to play? Just a thought...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts