Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning out the aviary today, all the birds (so I thought) were in the back cage, closed off from the cage I was cleaning. One of the boys came out of a nesting box and just flew out the door.

I went to check the remaining nesting boxes and there was a female and she flew up straight into my face and before I could grab her she was gone...she was sitting on 4 unhatched eggs, which I have disposed of.

My actual concern is, I now have two chicks, the male that flew was the father, will the mother be able to care for two chicks without him? Or do I have to intervene. These chicks are only about 4 and 6 days old respectively.

I feel sick because I was being so careful with them.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The hen should be OK to handle the babies on her own. But why did you get rid of the other eggs? The male from that pairing could've sat on them and hatched them just fine himself. Any chance of getting them back?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Oh dear, that is an awful thing to happen! I will say a prayer that they both come back...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Oh dear :( What a terrible accident! Hopefully the two can be found !

The single parent will be able to care for the babies themselves, though as the chicks get older they might need some supplemental feeding. In most cases the single parents can do the job themselves.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Oh no, I hope you get them back soon!

·
Registered
246 Posts
This has happened twice with my finches and it is a horrible feeling. I would do anything to get them back safely. They are so flighty and much smaller than tiels. Hope your babies survive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When I went to check the nests tonight the two little birds were alone and felt cold to touch, they were peeping and protesting the hen was in the back cage roosting for the night with the other birds. I took the chicks and stuck them under the other hen. She seemed to settle on them ok. Time will tell if she accepts them. I guess I will know in the morning if they survived the night.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hen should be OK to handle the babies on her own. But why did you get rid of the other eggs? The male from that pairing could've sat on them and hatched them just fine himself. Any chance of getting them back?
No chance of getting the eggs back. Chooks ate them. I heard the male chirping up in the trees, the female she took off south and I have not seen or heard her. I have now put movable hole covers over the nesting box holes so that cannot happen again.....I feel just so sick about it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other thing, when I picked up the chicks they have huge distended stomachs (?) and their crops appeared full but as I have never held or seen chicks like this before I don't know if the distended stomach is normal. There did appear to be quite a few droppings in the nest, so I assume they are eliminating properly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh dear :( What a terrible accident! Hopefully the two can be found !

The single parent will be able to care for the babies themselves, though as the chicks get older they might need some supplemental feeding. In most cases the single parents can do the job themselves.
I doubt that they will come back , I live in a rural area and these two are not used to human handling. The male sat up in a tree for a while chirping and whisting, but the female flew straight off and didn't stop. Have not heard the male for a while so I assume he has flown off too.

Went to check the chicks, they were alone and cold. SO I put them with the other hen, she hissed at me a bit and flapped a little but settled on them along with her two.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have been doing some Google image searches and it appears the distended stomach is nothing unusual. Thank goodness, I thought they had some terrible disease.

Chicken chicks are so much easier than these little ones.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it worked, I checked the chicks 2 hours later, they were not under the hen, neither hers or the new ones, but all four of them were warm to touch. I think she has accepted them.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I think it worked, I checked the chicks 2 hours later, they were not under the hen, neither hers or the new ones, but all four of them were warm to touch. I think she has accepted them.
Yaaaay! Excellent news :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I last wrote, those little guys seem to be getting along well with their adoptive parents and siblings. The parent birds don't seem bothered by them and all 4 chicks are being fed and cared for. The original mother doesn't seem bothered by the fact that her babies are now in another nest being cared for by other birds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts