Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh gosh it is so hard sometimes to try and find stuff and how they are called in English or vice versa from your native language it gives me a headache -.-.

I've been searching about safe ropes etc so I can make some diy toys and things so for now I have

Sisal, Hemp, Seagrass, Jute, PaperTwist Rope ( I know how to ask for these in Greek so we are good ) I've found the proper translations and I'll double check to not be coated or processed with anything.

My main question comes with a picture as I know my languages rope name but I'm not 100% sure of the english one as I got lost to double check if it's safe.

Is this supposed to be called Flax or Linen in English?

I have tons of these at my house so I was thinking of making toys out of these BUT they all "feel" like that they are coated with wax [ also free translating from Greek language no idea what type of wax or how else I should call it ]. I can't find anything looking like this without being "wax coated" so I have no idea if it's safe or if it ain't.

Who's gonna be able to identify the picture?!?! Let the games begin! hahah

·
Registered
95 Posts
It looks like wicker to me. Wicker is like a sturdier hay, kind of a waxy coating on it. Feels like dry straw

·
Registered
95 Posts
But if it's more of a rope than I'm not sure, not linen but maybe flax or tweed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"Twine" is what we call that kind of string, but the waxy coating looks like it could possibly be hemp? I'm not sure though, as many types of plant fiber twine can be waxed to keep the individual fibers from straying from the twine. I'm not sure if the wax used is safe for bird consumption, though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well I guess I'll have to find a different string to make the toys... All this toy research is starting to get me a little tired to be honest lol.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts