Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone! :wf grey:

I've been a lurker here for many years but never posted. This is perhaps the only place I feel safe enough to post about re-homing my two cockatiels, Luna (F) and Molly (M [long story!]).

This is really difficult. Just the thought of giving them up makes me start to cry, but I'm not sure what else to do. My husband and I have grappled with this decision for over a year. Luna and Molly do everything with us--shower, snuggle, do the dishes, watch movies, etc. They've been a big part of our life for so long.

We have had Luna for nearly ten years and Molly for about about eight years. We love them dearly. However, due to financial issues, career changes, stress, difficulty finding rental homes that both allow birds and that we can afford, mental health issues, and other factors, we have decided to re-home our wonderful birds. This is one of the hardest decisions we've ever made and I'm not sure if it'll ever get easier. I can barely imagine what life would be like without a chorus of chirping when I walk through the front door.

We hope that the person they go to will have experience with birds already, since they are loud and they expect love and attention every day. They must be adopted together and never separated--they are a mated pair.

We will always take them back, no questions asked, at any time (even years from now). We can't stand the thought of them bouncing from home to home, which is why we haven't posted until now. We want to find someone who will love them as much as we do. They deserve so much.

Currently, they live together in the same large cage. They spend about 8 hours out of their cages per day (whenever we are home). They are incredibly friendly and snuggly, love head scritches, and also love to groom each other which is quite cute. They are used to dogs, but since our dog has a very low prey drive, they have never been afraid of him. They've never been around cats.

Please, if anyone is interested in meeting them, let me know. I live in the Seattle, Washington area.

I am also open to suggestions about successfully re-homing cockatiels! I want to make sure that this transition is smooth for everyone.

Molly:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpP97qZFWB4/

Luna:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrGKoQOlouy/

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am just reading this today. I hope you found someone for your beautiful babies. I totally think of this all the time as I am getting older and I have no idea who will care for my babies. My husband is not in love with them like I am. I do not want them to go to just anyone. I actually am in the process of making a will. I will be leaving cash for that person too. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response! Still seeking a home for my friends, but I'm sure I will find the right person some day. Good luck to you too!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Best of luck to you. I'm sure this is very hard, but I applaud you for doing the right thing no matter how painful it is. <3

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can only imagine your heartache. I love my Shiloh like you love your pair. She too is always out when I'm home, getting scritches, sitting on my lap, hanging out looking out the windows, etc. You want someone who will love them like you both do and continue to give them their freedom. That's how I am with Shiloh. I was fortunate in that Shiloh really bonded with the vet tech who clips her nails. I asked her if anything happened to me would she adopt Shiloh and Christina said yes. Also yes if I ever got suddenly ill. I have a form that I'm bringing the next time I take Shiloh in to make it official. I told Christina exactly what Shiloh's life was like and how I feared exactly what you do. People who are not sensitive to her needs, her freedom out of the cage, loving her. I think that your requirements couldn't be more perfect for a new home and fingers crossed that the right people come into your life.

Cathy and Shiloh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello
I do not sell anything, but I can help you with choosing a house (habitat) for your pet. I made a comparison of several cells and described it all on my page - bestpetshome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts