Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Joeys cage is quite old and falling apart. Some of the bars are broken and the bottom tray doesn't hold very well. I would like to get him a new one and was looking for any helpful tips or advise.

I want to keep Joey as stress free as possible through the transition. He gets really upset if I change his environment too much. Every once in a while I move his bell or perches around when I am cleaning his cage. The last time I did he skreeched for three days. I know that cockatiels are very particular when it comes to a controlled environment. They don't like surprises. Any tips or advise would be great!

Thanks

Allie (and Joey)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I've never really had a problem switching my cockatiels cages, and they've had several changes in the time i've had them now. :D If you think you will have a problem, you can start by putting the new cage next to his old one and then letting him adjust to it over a series of days/weeks.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I think putting it next to his old cage is a good idea as well :) Mabey even putting his favorite toys in the new cage and letting him play inside it with the doors open would help as well.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I would put the new cage next to his cage now, when he is out I would open the new cage, and maybe try and put him on the top and he might venture inside. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your tips! I will definitely put the new cage next to the old one and give Joey the decision of when he is ready. I don't want him to feel like I am punishing him. He's a sensitive lil guy and I love him.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.