Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My male tiel has recently been showing growing signs that he is ready to mate. I'm not looking to purchase a female, but I am curious if it would be possible to somehow look up a local in my area who was looking to do the same with their female bird. Does anyone here know any details that could help us out? Is there a way to look up local breeders?

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well, you could certainly do that, and I have on occasion, borrowed a bird to breed. However, you are responsible for someone else's bird during the breeding process. So much can go wrong, especially with the hen. If your male is an aggressive breeder, he could pluck and even mutilate the female...I had a male that would tear every wing feather out of the hen's wing. I had to separate them.

The flip side is that you would send your male to them and let them be responsible. However...your bird is probably used to a completely different environment than one that a breeder would provide. If something happens to him while away, are you willing to release liability and chalk it up to a breeding mishap?

Just some points you might want to consider.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts